Old 29-01-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Beth Chatto Dry Garden?

Hi

Anybody own this book?

I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have many pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text........... :~)

And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 29-01-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

Anybody own this book?

I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have
many pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just
text........... :~)

And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?

I've got both, yes you're right - not many pictures but it's a very
easy read. Her writing style is such that you really don't need
photos, she gives you the picture in her words. The copies I have are
edited for the US market and do have a small handful of nice colour
pictures added for that market. Got them cheap from Postscript books'
http://www.psbooks.co.uk
That was a while ago and since their business is in remaindered books
they may not still have them.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 29-01-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:09:50 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

Anybody own this book?

Yes we do in sunny frosty ZH.

Zuid Hefrica? Zeeland, Holland? Please help :-)

Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text........... :~)

Well, despite the common claim that a picture is worth a thousand words,
it is more common that a picture replaces 5 thousand words and is worth
about 50 of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC
Hi

Anybody own this book?

I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have many pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text........... :~)

And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
remove the squirrel to reply
Hi Jenny,

I don't own this book but was quite intrigued, given the dry summers here in the Dorogne - anyway, there's one on Ebay which says black and white photos and line drawings, maybe cheaper than Amazon.

best wishes
jay jay
Old 30-01-2006, 06:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"jay jay" wrote in message

JennyC Wrote:
Hi
Anybody own this book?
I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have many
pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text...........
And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
I don't own this book but was quite intrigued, given the dry summers
here in the Dorogne - anyway, there's one on Ebay which says black and
white photos and line drawings, maybe cheaper than Amazon.
jay jay

Hi Jayjay
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac
Jenny

Old 30-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Hi Jayjay
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac
Jenny[/quote]

not far from Beaumont du Perigord! good luck with your move - how is the field coming along? I think I remember your email - will give it a go...
Old 30-01-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Hi Jayjay
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac

I've asked this twice now and still don't know where he is in the
Dordogne. Intrigued now ;o)

Old 30-01-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:19:16 +0100
"JennyC" wrote:
[]
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Do you know the site www.jardin-sec.com? I've never ordered
anything but they have a quite good reputation I believe.

Greetings from Normandy, where it is also, sadly, very very dry.
They are now talking about cutting off water during some hours
next summer... and our department was among the least affected
during the last 3 years of dry baking.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 30-01-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hi

Anybody own this book?

I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have many
pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text........... :~)

And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?

I have both. The Dry Garden came out in 1978, has a few black and
white photos and some BW sketches. The Gravel Garden came out in 2000,
my edition * (present this Christmas) has lots of gorgeous colour pics
and far more plants and detail discussed. Bear in mind, she didn't start
the gravel garden if the title until 91.

The second book is much more enjoyable imho. BC has 20 years more
experience in her own garden to draw on, in a period of climate change
(hotter drier summers in Essex) , but more importantly has spent that 20
years travelling the world and studying dry environments etc, and
comparing notes with other great gardeners like Christopher Lloyd.

By the time she wrote the Gravel Garden book she knew an awful lot more
about gardening in dry climates than she did in 78, and many more exotic
plants had been introduced to UK gardening.

*published by Francis Lincoln ISBN 0 71122 1425 5 57986 (25 quid on
cover but I know he got it cheaper on Amazon)

Janet

Old 30-01-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/1/06 11:35, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:19:16 +0100
"JennyC" wrote:
[]
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Do you know the site
www.jardin-sec.com? I've never ordered
anything but they have a quite good reputation I believe.

snip

This is a very good nursery. Olivier Filippi speaks excellent English, too,
which can be helpful! We visited his place about three years ago and it's
terrific. The plants were healthy and well cared for and he tests many of
them to destruction in his own garden where they get no watering *at all*.
Well worth a visit if you happen to be that way. I remember he had a
lovely, pure white Rosemary called 'Mont Blanc' - thanks for the memory
nudge!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/1/06 13:21, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 30/1/06 11:35, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip
Do you know the site
www.jardin-sec.com? I've never ordered
anything but they have a quite good reputation I believe.

snip

This is a very good nursery.snip I remember he had a
lovely, pure white Rosemary called 'Mont Blanc' - thanks for the memory
nudge!

Sorry, Rosmarinus 'Montagnette' - I just checked up on my memory!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:21:50 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 30/1/06 11:35, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

[]
Do you know the site
www.jardin-sec.com? I've never ordered
anything but they have a quite good reputation I believe.

snip

This is a very good nursery. Olivier Filippi speaks excellent English, too,
which can be helpful! We visited his place about three years ago and it's
terrific. The plants were healthy and well cared for and he tests many of
them to destruction in his own garden where they get no watering *at all*.
Well worth a visit if you happen to be that way. I remember he had a
lovely, pure white Rosemary called 'Mont Blanc' - thanks for the memory
nudge!

Hi Sacha,

They were recommended to me by a friend who is a well known
garden designer, and who hasn't (yet anyway!) steered me wrong.

Certainly a remarkable selection of Rosemary. I may try and
order some one day.

-E

Old 30-01-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/1/06 14:40, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:21:50 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 30/1/06 11:35, in article
, "Emery
Davis" wrote:

[]
[...]

It was David Poole who suggested we go there and ditto. ;-)
If I were you, I'd hop into a car with a very large boot and take a nice
long drive............!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote:
Where are you in the Dordogne?
We hope to be in les Eyzies de Tayac
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Do you know the site www.jardin-sec.com? I've never ordered
anything but they have a quite good reputation I believe.

Greetings from Normandy, where it is also, sadly, very very dry.
They are now talking about cutting off water during some hours
next summer... and our department was among the least affected
during the last 3 years of dry baking.
Emery Davis

Hi Emery

We are not yet in the Dordogne - have to buy the house first :~))
Pics at: http://www.ljconline.nl/HouseFrance.html

It snowed there yesterday! Pics via link at the bottom of the 'views' page

Jenny

Old 30-01-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that info Janet.I shall order them both :~)
Jenny