Old 25-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Justin Burnett

Default Is this a weed?

I scattered some seeds an aunt gave me last year but unfortunately I wasn't
interested in gardening at the time. I didn't keep the packet and have no
idea what they were.

The plants are have broad leaves with a darker, heart shaped mark in the
center of each leaf. The stems below the first leaf are red. There must be
800+ of these and since I'm a novice and the soil had absoluetly no
preparation I'm inclined to think they must be weeds! If they are something
worth keeping I'd love to know what they are.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jus

Old 27-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Colin Davidson

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message
I scattered some seeds an aunt gave me last year but unfortunately I

wasn't
interested in gardening at the time. I didn't keep the packet and have no
idea what they were.

The plants are have broad leaves with a darker, heart shaped mark in the
center of each leaf. The stems below the first leaf are red. There must be
800+ of these and since I'm a novice and the soil had absoluetly no
preparation I'm inclined to think they must be weeds! If they are

something
worth keeping I'd love to know what they are.

Any help greatly appreciated.

How big are the plants? Any chance you could put a picture online somewhere?

Old 27-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Colin Davidson
writes

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message
I scattered some seeds an aunt gave me last year but unfortunately I

wasn't
interested in gardening at the time. I didn't keep the packet and have no
idea what they were.

The plants are have broad leaves with a darker, heart shaped mark in the
center of each leaf. The stems below the first leaf are red. There must be
800+ of these and since I'm a novice and the soil had absoluetly no
preparation I'm inclined to think they must be weeds! If they are

something
worth keeping I'd love to know what they are.

Any help greatly appreciated.

How big are the plants? Any chance you could put a picture online somewhere?

Possibly a polygonum - try a google search for pictures

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Justin Burnett

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Colin Davidson
writes

[...]

Thanks for the help so far. I've put a picture up on webshots.
http://community.webshots.com/script...howMyPhoto&alb
umID=74723183&photoID=74723273&security=NBlNPl The plant in the shot is
currently around 5 - 6" high

Jus

Old 28-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Colin Davidson

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message

Thanks for the help so far. I've put a picture up on webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/script...howMyPhoto&alb
umID=74723183&photoID=74723273&security=NBlNPl The plant in the shot is
currently around 5 - 6" high

I can't make that link work, even copying and pasting it doesn't seem to
help.

Old 28-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Serena Blanchflower

On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:17:11 +0100, "Justin Burnett"
wrote:

Thanks for the help so far. I've put a picture up on webshots.
http://community.webshots.com/script...howMyPhoto&alb
umID=74723183&photoID=74723273&security=NBlNPl The plant in the shot is
currently around 5 - 6" high

It looks as though you will need to update the authorisations for the
site. It's not allowing me in, saying that I don't appear to be the
owner.

People may find it easier to try one of the versions of the link below
(once the authorisations have been fixed), to avoid cutting and pasting.

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=NBlNPl
http://tinyurl.com/cu7h

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Old 28-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Justin Burnett

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...

http://community.webshots.com/script...showMyPhoto&al
bumID=74723183&photoID=74723273&security=NBlNPl
http://tinyurl.com/cu7h

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Sorry folks, I can find nothing that would restrict access so perhaps using
the less direct link below will allow you in.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jburnett110

If that fails I'll wait and see what the plants do!

Old 28-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Serena Blanchflower

On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:22:39 +0100, "Justin Burnett"
wrote:

Sorry folks, I can find nothing that would restrict access so perhaps using
the less direct link below will allow you in.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jburnett110

That link seems to work OK, but I'm afraid I can't be much help in
identifying it. I'm sure someone round here will be able to help
though.

Old 28-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Colin Davidson

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message

Sorry folks, I can find nothing that would restrict access so perhaps

using
the less direct link below will allow you in.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jburnett110

If that fails I'll wait and see what the plants do!

Ahh, that's a lot better. I think it's Polygonum persicaria... A quick
websearch for that has brought up this page:
http://www.hawriverprogram.org/NCPla...aria_page.html

It's a fairly common weed, bit it's quite a charming plant.

Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Tim

On Wed, 28 May 2003 13:49:24 +0100, Colin Davidson
wrote:

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message

Sorry folks, I can find nothing that would restrict access so perhaps

using
the less direct link below will allow you in.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jburnett110

If that fails I'll wait and see what the plants do!

Ahh, that's a lot better. I think it's Polygonum persicaria... A quick
websearch for that has brought up this page:
http://www.hawriverprogram.org/NCPla...aria_page.html

It's a fairly common weed, bit it's quite a charming plant.

Yes, that's it, also known as lady's thumb, or heart's ease. Tim.
Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Pickle

Just looked through my wildflower book...
Think it might be something called Redshank (Persicaria maculosa)
A weed, but not an unattractive one

Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
A.Malhotra

Justin Burnett wrote:

Sorry folks, I can find nothing that would restrict access so perhaps using
the less direct link below will allow you in.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jburnett110

If that fails I'll wait and see what the plants do!

It looks like a polygonatum of some sort. Ita ctually looks just like the
Vietnamese coriander I have growing in pots but I don't think that's hardy
so I assume this is some other polygonatum. Some of them are supposed to be
rather invasive (japanese knotweed is related but the leaves are different
so its not that!).
Anita
Old 28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprpvu45cvwxhha1@localhost...

Yes, that's it, also known as lady's thumb, or heart's ease. Tim.

And known also as red leg. Depends on where you come from.

Old 28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Pickle" wrote in message
Just looked through my wildflower book...
Think it might be something called Redshank (Persicaria maculosa)
A weed, but not an unattractive one

Before this all gets too confusing, I'll add that Persicaria maculosa is
another name for Polygonum persicaria, so this ID is the same as the other
one given in this thread (although the common name here is also different to
the ones given, just to make things even more complicated