Old 26-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Bob Robertson

Default Cat deterrents

Help, I have just moved into a new house and have found that the garden is
being used by the local cat population as a toilet, nothing I do stops them.
I am looking for an animal friendly method of keeping them out of the
garden.
I have heard of the electronic devices but I do not want to spend all that
money and find out is useless, so a tried and tested method or piece of
equipment would be appreciated that I can get in the UK.
Thanks Bob

Old 26-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Charlie

Apparently scattering orange peel around works. My old cat wouldn't go
anywhere near citrus fruits (or you, if you were eating them). Sods law
though, my new(er) cat adores oranges. And lemons. And grapefruit.

You might want to try that if it's concentrated in a particular area.

Charlie.

Old 26-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Little Badger

Tie shop carrier bags to sticks around your garden!

My cat hates the sound of a rustling carrier bag!

Badge

Old 26-05-2003, 11:08 PM
r3duf

"Little Badger" wrote in message
Tie shop carrier bags to sticks around your garden!

My cat hates the sound of a rustling carrier bag!

Badge

"Bob Robertson" wrote in message
Help, I have just moved into a new house and have found that the garden

is
being used by the local cat population as a toilet, nothing I do stops

them.
I am looking for an animal friendly method of keeping them out of the
garden.
I have heard of the electronic devices but I do not want to spend all

that
money and find out is useless, so a tried and tested method or piece of
equipment would be appreciated that I can get in the UK.
Thanks Bob

Try three quater filling clear lemonade bottles with water. Place them

upright around the garden, my friends say it works for them.
JD

Old 26-05-2003, 11:08 PM
martin

On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:05:32 +0100, "r3duf"
wrote:

Try three quater filling clear lemonade bottles with water. Place them

upright around the garden, my friends say it works for them.

With or without straws?
--
martin

Old 26-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Little Badger" wrote in message
Tie shop carrier bags to sticks around your garden!

My cat hates the sound of a rustling carrier bag!

and one of ours will always dive into any plastic bag we leave around, which
we don't now 'cause it will suffocate one day.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 27-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Cupra

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Little Badger" wrote in message
Tie shop carrier bags to sticks around your garden!

My cat hates the sound of a rustling carrier bag!

and one of ours will always dive into any plastic bag we leave around,

which
we don't now 'cause it will suffocate one day.
--
Bob

Yes, mine dives into platic bags as well....... even went as far as buying a
'psuedo-plastic bag' from a pet shop (makes same rustling sound etc... but
is a bit safer), and guess what.... he ignores it!

Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Andrew Thomson

Get a container of those blue slug pellets that B&Q/Homebase sell that
contain domestic animal repellant. I find they work a treat, especially if
you put down a nice heavy sprinkling. Costs about £3 for a big bottle.

I think they contain some sort of odour that offends cats. Having said that,
I spotted the animal from two doors along trying to eat some of mine.
Apparently she suffered what my neighbour politely described as "being sick
from both ends". No long term effects though except that she won't come near
my garden anymore.

And I'm slug free too!

Andrew

Old 28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Druss

"Bob Robertson" wrote in message
Help, I have just moved into a new house and have found that the garden is
being used by the local cat population as a toilet, nothing I do stops

them.
I am looking for an animal friendly method of keeping them out of the
garden.
I have heard of the electronic devices but I do not want to spend all that
money and find out is useless, so a tried and tested method or piece of
equipment would be appreciated that I can get in the UK.
Thanks Bob

I have just erected an 18" high 1.5" mesh wire netting around my raised
veggie beds, keeps the cats away since it move in a funny way they don't
dare try to jump over it. Makes working the beds slightly more awkward, but
does a grand job.
Of course it's not terribly practical around flowerbeds, but you can use the
green or brown stiff plastic mesh on the ground they cannot scratch and thus
tend to go elsewhere.
Duncan

Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Di

"Druss" wrote in message
"Bob Robertson" wrote in message
Help, I have just moved into a new house and have found that the garden

is
being used by the local cat population as a toilet, nothing I do stops

them.
I am looking for an animal friendly method of keeping them out of the
garden.

snip
you could try moth balls they hate the smell or if they look too incongruous
you can soak used tea bags in eucalyptus same effect.

Old 29-05-2003, 04:56 PM
andrewpreece

Twigs scattered about, espec thorny ones; looks untidy though.

Andy.

"Bob Robertson" wrote in message
Help, I have just moved into a new house and have found that the garden is
being used by the local cat population as a toilet, nothing I do stops

them.
I am looking for an animal friendly method of keeping them out of the
garden.
I have heard of the electronic devices but I do not want to spend all that
money and find out is useless, so a tried and tested method or piece of
equipment would be appreciated that I can get in the UK.
Thanks Bob

Mice and sonar deterrents Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 0 19-08-2007 02:00 PM
Cat Deterrents Donwill United Kingdom 15 17-02-2007 09:43 AM
sago, $$ plant theft, electronic chips and other deterrents. Gardñ@Gardñ.info Gardening 0 23-08-2004 06:49 AM
Boundary crossing deterrents(was tree cat damage) Steve Harris United Kingdom 112 04-01-2004 05:34 PM
CAT DETERRENTS MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds (alternative) 2 15-05-2003 10:20 PM