Old 29-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Andy Coleman

Default Attaching a hosepipe to a tap without it leaking

Hi,

I have an outside tap which is just inside a cupboard accessable from
the side of my house. The tap is the standard type that you would
normaly have on the outside of a house.

I would like to attach a hosepipe to it but when I attach the pipe
using the fitting I currently have on the end of the pipe water is
leaking from the fitting. The fitting is a hozelock one that has a
metal screw that is used to tighten the metal band around the rubber
connection.

This would not necessarily be a problem except that the electricity
meter and fuse box is located directly opposite the tap and is in
reach of the spurting water.

Is there a connector that I can get for the end of the pipe that is
guaranteed not to leek or should I just get the tap relocated to
outside the house.

Thanks
Andy
Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Paul D.Smith

Sounds like you're missing a washer or similar. But just in case, I assume
the screw fitting is a nice tight fit as there are various size fittings
around (although you don't often come across them).

Question - do you have a non-return valve fitted? These are mandatory in
most places now. If you don't, Hozelock make a combined non-return/"male
fitting" that screws directly onto the tap and to which you then clip the
hose. I have one and it doesn't leak, unlike the tap itself but that's
another story :-(.

Paul DS.

Old 29-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Justin Burnett

"Andy Coleman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The fittings that connect to a ribbed tap
are better, but in my experience they still drip. I doubt there is an
electrician in the country that would be happy with your current setup. If
it were me I would move the tap. It is surely more convenient placed outside
anyway.

Jus

Old 29-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Sarah Dale

On Thu, 29 May 2003 00:34:00 +0000, Andy Coleman wrote:

This would not necessarily be a problem except that the electricity
meter and fuse box is located directly opposite the tap and is in
reach of the spurting water.

Andy,

Get that sorted out PDQ!!! Electricity is dangerous in its own right - add
water and you have a very leathal mix. You should not have water and
electricity services in the same cupboard.

When you relocate the water, try to ensure that *no* water, even in a
pipe, goes near your electricity supply and fuse box.

Sarah
Old 29-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Andy Coleman

"Justin Burnett" wrote in message ...
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The fittings that connect to a ribbed tap
are better, but in my experience they still drip. I doubt there is an
electrician in the country that would be happy with your current setup. If
it were me I would move the tap. It is surely more convenient placed outside
anyway.

Jus

I had reckoned that I would have to move the tap I just wondered if
someone would come up with a bright idea. Getting a plumber to the do
the job in London though is a nightmare.

Thanks
Andy

Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Jim W

Andy Coleman wrote:

Hi,

I have an outside tap which is just inside a cupboard accessable from
the side of my house. The tap is the standard type that you would
normaly have on the outside of a house.

I would like to attach a hosepipe to it but when I attach the pipe
using the fitting I currently have on the end of the pipe water is
leaking from the fitting. The fitting is a hozelock one that has a
metal screw that is used to tighten the metal band around the rubber
connection.

This would not necessarily be a problem except that the electricity
meter and fuse box is located directly opposite the tap and is in
reach of the spurting water.

Is there a connector that I can get for the end of the pipe that is
guaranteed not to leek or should I just get the tap relocated to
outside the house.

Yes,.. a simple threaded brass hose connector. I much prefer thse to
the 'clip system' modern type which will always leak eventually in my
experience.

From any good plumbers. Fit it with a Jubilee clip. If you have a good
exterior type tap it will already be threaded. If not, then yes, you
will need to change it.

A bit of vaseline on the threads will help keep it watertight.

If you want to stick with the hoselock fittings try checking to see that
all the o-rings are intact, clean and not worn or perished.. Hozelock
do make replacements if they are.
//
Jim