Old 29-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Ophelia

Default midsummers day

Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

Old 29-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Ophelia
writes
Does anyone know the date of this please?

24th June.
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 29-05-2003, 08:20 PM

Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

Keith over

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Ophelia

"k" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

Oooppps) Thank you Keithover) We seem to have a dispute)

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Ophelia

"Rachel Sullivan" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes
Does anyone know the date of this please?

24th June.

Thank you Rachel

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"k" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

No. That's the summer solstice, not the same thing at all. It's also the
first day of summer.

Mary

Keith over

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
"k" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

No. That's the summer solstice, not the same thing at all. It's also the
first day of summer.

Mary

Keith over

Sorry Knew it was one of them

Keith

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Ophelia

"k" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"k" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

No. That's the summer solstice, not the same thing at all. It's also the
first day of summer.

Mary

Keith over

Sorry Knew it was one of them

LOL no problem Thank you for helping

Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Now well confused - I think I read:
21st June is Summer Solstice and official start of Summer.
24th June is Midsummers Day

So 27th June is the end of Summer and start of Autumn?
Aaaaaghhh - me and my big mouth! Nooooo!

Old 29-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Jill

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

what do you have planned?

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Old 29-05-2003, 09:56 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

"k" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

21st June is midsummer's day

No. That's the summer solstice, not the same thing at all. It's also the
first day of summer.

It always strikes me a singularly silly to claim that the summer
solstice (the true 'middle' of summer in terms of the sun's height) is
claimed to be the *start* of summer.

I know that the actual season is delayed somewhat behind the time one
would expect it from the height of the sun but it really isn't delayed
by a seven weeks or so. To my mind all of June is 'summer', whether
any of May is summer is open to debate. It's not a black/white
decision anyway.

--
Chris Green )
Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Jo Ling

The 21st of June is the "first day of Summer" and ALSO midsummer's day, it
being the longest day in the year (the Summer solstice).

Who came up with the 24th of June? That's the feast of St Johann, if I
remember rightly, and now to do with being the first, last or middle day of
Summer.

Jo

Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
June Hughes

In article , Ophelia
writes
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Me. 24 June. My birthday
--
June Hughes
Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Ophelia

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Now well confused - I think I read:
21st June is Summer Solstice and official start of Summer.
24th June is Midsummers Day

So 27th June is the end of Summer and start of Autumn?
Aaaaaghhh - me and my big mouth! Nooooo!

LOL I know!! This is what made me ask the question in the first place.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Ophelia

"Jill" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Does anyone know the date of this please?

Ophelia

what do you have planned?

Oh I thought I might dance naked in the moonlight hoping for better
veggies

OR

I was curious as to when it might be. I had seen the dates mentioned in the

O *grin*