Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Bigjon

Default Time to take on the local authorites about cats.

In a fit of excitement MC uttered:

OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

The more complaints that are made to the local authorities (and your local
councillors) the sooner cat owners can be made accountable for their cats
filth. Remember to quote the Environmental protection Act 1990 and the
Public Health act 1936.

MC
The war has begun.

I have the feeling that your local councillors have better things to spend
their valuable time on.
You are spouting direct from a webpage....

http://www.cathate.com/thelaw.htm

Animals Act 1971
Public Health Act 1936
Environmental Protection Act 1990

There has never, as far as I know, been a successful prosecution on these
flimsy grounds put through the system. There are very few local councils
that will even bother to table an ammendment to local by-laws regarding
cats, it is not worth their time.

Go Away.
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement MC uttered:

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Alan
writes

No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement.

How different is this from a cat owners not clearing up cat crap from my
passage way.

MC

The difference is that cats do not walk on the end of a bit of string...
The owners are not around when they crap, and legally cannot be held
responsible. Use a cat deterrent.
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 PM
MC

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Alan
writes

No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement.

How different is this from a cat owners not clearing up cat crap from my
passage way.

MC

The difference is that cats do not walk on the end of a bit of string...
The owners are not around when they crap, and legally cannot be held
responsible.

So the owners are "irresponsible" to the point of allowing them outside in
the first place...rest my case.

Use a cat deterrent.
--
\\(º`¿´º)//

You tell me which one works...coz I've tried 'em all (even spending loads on
IR "sonic" devices which seem to only have a 25% success rate).

Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Five Cats

In article , MC
writes
snip

There are "clear" laws governing rats. Human waste is the main cause of rat
infestations and the local authority has to come down on property owners who
encourage the rat population to take up residence.

So why are you not posting somewhere else shouting about this? The
sewers are full of rats living on whatever they find down there, and
there are plenty of take-away food shops infested with mice & rats as
well. Yuck!

--
Five Cats
Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Five Cats

In article , MC
writes

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Alan
writes

No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement.

How different is this from a cat owners not clearing up cat crap from my
passage way.

The dog owner is stood there with the dog on a lead watching it crap.
Indeed it may well have taken the dog to that place specifically to have
a crap. The cat has gone there of it's own volition. It's like the
difference between parents taking their children to have a pot shot at
your house with their permission, and the children doing it of their own
volition.

MC

--
Five Cats

Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Essjay001

Silvasurfa wrote:
snip
Somehow we have to move beyond the bad old days of collecting up the
feces, putting it in a paper bag, putting the paper bag on the cat
owner's doorstep, setting the bag on fire, ringing the doorbell and
running away. Or of tipping honey over wayward cats. Legal rights now!

Personally I like the squirt them with washing up liquid idea, but just name
me one cat owner who would take photos so one could gloat.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Essjay001

People who don't snip is the reason why I tend to top post

Five Cats wrote:
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article ,
Alan writes
I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I
also understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be
held guilty of trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible
for any damage done: http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the
law to make all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

If that is the most important think you can think of that needs
doing in the UK then you are a very sad being.

Who said that the eradication of the vermin was the most important
thing?

We now go into a huge list of things to divert the attention of the
cat problem.

Getting all parents to be
responsible for their children and to teach them in their term to
become responsible thoughtful people would be a far greater step
forwards. Just think of it - no gangs of drunk lads (of any age)
roaming the streets, leaving a trail of smashed bottles, bus-
shelters and graffiti. No drunk gangs of young girls trailing round
town in freezing weather in what appears to be their undies
harassing people. No people encouraging their dogs to be
aggressive. No people not bothering to pick up their dog's faeces
from the pavement. No children playing football where they are
likely to damage cars, gardens and property. No late-night loud
parties. In fact no parties on your road that you haven't been
invited to. No drunk or drugged drivers. No crime. No illegal
drugs. No under-age mothers or fathers.

Now how does that sound instead?

an excuse to take the attention away from the cat problem.

how does that sound?

No, just suggesting that it would be rather nice if the bigger
problems in life could be dealt with first. Come to that dealing
with the bigger problems often sorts out the little ones, and if you
want to eradicate vermin cockroaches and rats would be a pretty good
choice to start.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Essjay001

Five Cats wrote:

but if that's really the case and you are not
trolling here (which seems highly likely to me in alt.pets.cats)

Not a good arguement as this thread was posted across three
groups:-alt.pets.cats,alt.support.petfree,uk.rec.gardening

Chill you'll live longer

Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Essjay001

Bigjon wrote:
There has never, as far as I know, been a successful prosecution on
these flimsy grounds put through the system. There are very few local
councils that will even bother to table an ammendment to local by-
laws regarding cats, it is not worth their time.

Go Away.

Hold on a minute those of us who don't want cat crap all over our gardens
and pathways have a right to free speech.

We are also tax payers and voters.

Surely any councillor who "would not bother....." has to declare an interest
if they are cat lovers/owners which should debar them from taking part in
any discussion of this nature.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
hugh emerson

In message , Mike
[...]

Pretty pathetic, like most of our posts, actually.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid

Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Five Cats

In article , Essjay001
writes
Five Cats wrote:

but if that's really the case and you are not
trolling here (which seems highly likely to me in alt.pets.cats)

Not a good arguement as this thread was posted across three
groups:-alt.pets.cats,alt.support.petfree,uk.rec.gardening

Trolls love cross-posting, and doesn't that strike you as a cross-post
designed to try to start a flame war?

Chill you'll live longer

--
Five Cats
Old 04-06-2003, 10:56 PM
hugh emerson

In message , Essjay001
writes
Bigjon wrote:
There has never, as far as I know, been a successful prosecution on
these flimsy grounds put through the system. There are very few local
councils that will even bother to table an ammendment to local by-
laws regarding cats, it is not worth their time.

Go Away.

Hold on a minute those of us who don't want cat crap all over our gardens
and pathways have a right to free speech.

We are also tax payers and voters.

Surely any councillor who "would not bother....." has to declare an interest
if they are cat lovers/owners which should debar them from taking part in
any discussion of this nature.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

By the same argument non-cat owning gardening councillors would also
have an interest. In fact only those councillors who didn't bother to
turn up could be genuinely said to not to have an interest and they
would then be the only ones entitled to vote. So the by-law wouldn't be
passed
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Essjay001

hugh emerson wrote:
Surely any councillor who "would not bother....." has to declare an
interest if they are cat lovers/owners which should debar them from
taking part in any discussion of this nature.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

By the same argument non-cat owning gardening councillors would also
have an interest. In fact only those councillors who didn't bother to
turn up could be genuinely said to not to have an interest and they
would then be the only ones entitled to vote. So the by-law wouldn't
be passed

Ah! but but what about the non cat owning councillors who live in high rise
flats?

Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Five Cats

In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
[...]

I note with interest that your 'start' does not include cats.

Hypocrite.

So you think that cats are the biggest vermin that one has to worry
about? Amazing. All those programs on TV that followed environmental
health officers never found a problem in commercial premises that were
to do with cats - they did find lots of places infested with
cockroaches, rats, mice, house flies and some other rather nasty things,
but not cats. *you* may think that cats are the biggest problem in
*your* life, but if that's really the case and you are not trolling here
(which seems highly likely to me in alt.pets.cats) then you should be
thankful that the other vermin I have listed (and as far as wildlife is
concerned I could have added a few more) are not part of your life, and
that you don't have nasty noisy children of all ages to contend with.

--
Five Cats
Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Silvasurfa

Five Cats wrote in message ...
[...]

Your argument is fallacious, in no way does dealing with one problem
prevent another problem being dealt with. The legal system can and
should deal with many different problems at once. If it were not
capable of this, then no crime but murder would be tried in the
courts.