Old 01-06-2003, 06:44 PM
MC

Default Time to take on the local authorites about cats.

OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

The more complaints that are made to the local authorities (and your local
councillors) the sooner cat owners can be made accountable for their cats
filth. Remember to quote the Environmental protection Act 1990 and the
Public Health act 1936.

MC
The war has begun.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
MC wrote:
OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

I doubt it, somehow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Alan

I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I also
understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be held guilty of
trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible for any damage done:
http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the law to make
all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

79.... the following matters constitute "statutory nuisances" for the
purposes of this Part, that is to say-
(a) any premises in such a state as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(b) smoke emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(c) fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health
or a nuisance;
(d) any dust, steam, smell or other effluvia arising on industrial, trade
or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance;
(e) any accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(f) any animal kept in such a place or manner as to be prejudicial to
health or a nuisance;
(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(h) any other matter declared by any enactment to be a statutory nuisance;
and it shall be the duty of every local authority to cause its area to be
inspected from time to time to detect any statutory nuisances which ought to
be dealt with under section 80 below and, where a complaint of a statutory
nuisance is made to it by a person living within its area, to take such
steps as are reasonably practicable to investigate the complaint.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Five Cats

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
MC wrote:
OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

I doubt it, somehow.

AFAIK the last place to wage all-out war on feral and free-roaming cats
promptly got overrun with mice and rats. Lovely!

--
Five Cats
Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Silvasurfa

"MC" wrote in message ...
OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

The more complaints that are made to the local authorities (and your local
councillors) the sooner cat owners can be made accountable for their cats
filth. Remember to quote the Environmental protection Act 1990 and the
Public Health act 1936.

MC
The war has begun.

I'm not in the UK, but I'd like to lend my moral support to anyone who
is attempting to seek legal redress for the health hazard and nuisance
that uncontrolled domestic pets can cause. It is damn hard getting
laws in place as the pet owners kick up a fuss as soon as anyone
suggests some sort of control, and once the laws are in place the
various dog and cat clubs come out fighting and lobbying when there
are test cases.

Somehow we have to move beyond the bad old days of collecting up the
feces, putting it in a paper bag, putting the paper bag on the cat
owner's doorstep, setting the bag on fire, ringing the doorbell and
running away. Or of tipping honey over wayward cats. Legal rights now!

Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Five Cats

In article , Alan
writes
I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I also
understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be held guilty of
trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible for any damage done:
http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the law to make
all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

If that is the most important think you can think of that needs doing in
the UK then you are a very sad being. Getting all parents to be
responsible for their children and to teach them in their term to become
responsible thoughtful people would be a far greater step forwards.
Just think of it - no gangs of drunk lads (of any age) roaming the
streets, leaving a trail of smashed bottles, bus-shelters and graffiti.
No drunk gangs of young girls trailing round town in freezing weather in
what appears to be their undies harassing people. No people encouraging
their dogs to be aggressive. No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement. No children playing football where they
are likely to damage cars, gardens and property. No late-night loud
parties. In fact no parties on your road that you haven't been invited
to. No drunk or drugged drivers. No crime. No illegal drugs. No
under-age mothers or fathers.

Now how does that sound instead?

snip

--
Five Cats
Old 02-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike

In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I also
understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be held guilty of
trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible for any damage done:
http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the law to make
all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

If that is the most important think you can think of that needs doing in
the UK then you are a very sad being.

Who said that the eradication of the vermin was the most important
thing?

We now go into a huge list of things to divert the attention of the cat
problem.

[...]

an excuse to take the attention away from the cat problem.

how does that sound?

snip

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Five Cats

In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

No, just suggesting that it would be rather nice if the bigger problems
in life could be dealt with first. Come to that dealing with the bigger
problems often sorts out the little ones, and if you want to eradicate
vermin cockroaches and rats would be a pretty good choice to start.

--
Five Cats
Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike

In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

I note with interest that your 'start' does not include cats.

Hypocrite.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Chris Street

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 19:08:50 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

After your performance in ulw I quite agree that you are.
Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
MC

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Alan
writes

No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement.

How different is this from a cat owners not clearing up cat crap from my
passage way.

MC

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
MC

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

There are "clear" laws governing rats. Human waste is the main cause of rat
infestations and the local authority has to come down on property owners who
encourage the rat population to take up residence.

MC

Old 03-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Five Cats

In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

So you think that cats are the biggest vermin that one has to worry
about? Amazing. All those programs on TV that followed environmental
health officers never found a problem in commercial premises that were
to do with cats - they did find lots of places infested with
cockroaches, rats, mice, house flies and some other rather nasty things,
but not cats. *you* may think that cats are the biggest problem in
*your* life, but if that's really the case and you are not trolling here
(which seems highly likely to me in alt.pets.cats) then you should be
thankful that the other vermin I have listed (and as far as wildlife is
concerned I could have added a few more) are not part of your life, and
that you don't have nasty noisy children of all ages to contend with.

--
Five Cats
Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Silvasurfa

Five Cats wrote in message ...
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

Your argument is fallacious, in no way does dealing with one problem
prevent another problem being dealt with. The legal system can and
should deal with many different problems at once. If it were not
capable of this, then no crime but murder would be tried in the
courts.