Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Brian Hallett

Default Spraying large patio

I have a large block-paved patio which is becoming rather an eyesore
with weeds and grass sprouting between the pavers. Can anyone
recommend a useful, moderately- priced spray gun and a weedkiller
which will do a permanent job of keeping the area weed-free? I have
just sprayed it with a couple of watering cans of Weedol which looks
like killing the top growth, but I need something a bit more permanent
and easier to cover the area quickly. I am not against poisonous
products.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Brian Hallett wrote:
I have a large block-paved patio which is becoming rather an eyesore
with weeds and grass sprouting between the pavers. Can anyone
recommend a useful, moderately- priced spray gun and a weedkiller
which will do a permanent job of keeping the area weed-free? I have
just sprayed it with a couple of watering cans of Weedol which looks
like killing the top growth, but I need something a bit more permanent
and easier to cover the area quickly. I am not against poisonous
products.

Plutonium dust. Spread thickly.

Alternatively, why not use glyphosate - it isn't permanent, it isn't
particularly poisonous, but it is more effective than Weedol because
it doesn't just burn the tops off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Brian Hallett
said:

I have a large block-paved patio which is becoming rather an eyesore
with weeds and grass sprouting between the pavers. Can anyone
recommend a useful, moderately- priced spray gun and a weedkiller
which will do a permanent job of keeping the area weed-free? I have
just sprayed it with a couple of watering cans of Weedol which looks
like killing the top growth, but I need something a bit more permanent
and easier to cover the area quickly. I am not against poisonous
products.

I use a Hozelock 8L Killaspray loaded with Pathclear, and apply March,
June & September. Seems to do the trick. I can't remember the price of
the spray, but it was probably in the region of £20-30.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Essjay001

Brian Hallett wrote:
snip
Can anyone recommend a useful, moderately- priced spray gun and a
weedkiller
which will do a permanent job of keeping the area weed-free?

There isn't one. You may kill the weeds that are there now but you won't
kill any seeds or those seeds to come, either on the wind or via bird
droppings etc.

I have
just sprayed it with a couple of watering cans of Weedol which looks
like killing the top growth, but I need something a bit more permanent
and easier to cover the area quickly. I am not against poisonous
products.

I use a mix of weedol and pathclear between them they do a fair job, one for
the top growth and the other for the roots. but the weeds always come back.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Derek Carver

Brian Hallett wrote:
snip
Can anyone recommend a useful, moderately- priced spray gun and a
weedkiller
which will do a permanent job of keeping the area weed-free?

There isn't one. You may kill the weeds that are there now but you won't
kill any seeds or those seeds to come, either on the wind or via bird
droppings etc.

I have
just sprayed it with a couple of watering cans of Weedol which looks
like killing the top growth, but I need something a bit more permanent
and easier to cover the area quickly. I am not against poisonous
products.

I use a mix of weedol and pathclear between them they do a fair job, one for
the top growth and the other for the roots. but the weeds always come back.

No need to spend money on both Weedol and Pathclear. The latter will kill of
the top growth just effectively.

With large paved areas here we have to use a lot of Pathclear but be careful if
your paved area is on a slope. Although Pathclear doesn't leach sideways as
some of the older ones did, it will disolve in run-off water. So any part of
the garden your paved are consistently drains into prior to draining down into
the soil could become killed-off. I sometimes forget this and end up with an
18" square section of dead lawn!

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey

Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Derek Carver wrote in message

No need to spend money on both Weedol and Pathclear. The latter will

kill of
the top growth just effectively.

With large paved areas here we have to use a lot of Pathclear but be

careful if
your paved area is on a slope. Although Pathclear doesn't leach

sideways as
some of the older ones did, it will disolve in run-off water. So any

part of
the garden your paved are consistently drains into prior to draining

down into
the soil could become killed-off. I sometimes forget this and end up

with an
18" square section of dead lawn!

Pathclear takes a little longer than Weedol, but will do the job just as
well, and also stop them from re-growing. Pathclear will kill the roots,
Weedol will not.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 09-06-2003, 02:32 PM
AWM

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Brian Hallett wrote:

snip
I use a mix of weedol and pathclear between them they do a fair job, one

for
the top growth and the other for the roots. but the weeds always come

back.

funny I do the same mix for problem areas

For bargain sprayers Argos to a reasonable 5 litre wand sprayer for next
to nothing (think mine was a tenner 4 years back) its a Hilka brand --- an
Indian tool company more usually associated with reasonable quality budget
spanners.
Not the abosolute best quality but very serviceable.