Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Rick

Default Can someone help please.

About 4 years ago I planted a plum tree in the garden it is now about 10'
and seems to be growing really well.

but every year it seems to suffer with what I have been told is leaf curl.

This mainly affects the new leaves attached to all the new growth. it is
really bad and seems to send the affected leafs brown and kills them if
left.

if I un-role the leaf their seems to me some small green aphid bugs inside
the curled up leaf (a little bit like green fly) but they are different. Are
the bugs what are causing the leaf curl? if so can it be cured and if so how
should I ensue it does not come back next year.

last year I removed all the leaves and cut it right back and this year it is
as bad as ever.

Thanks in advance or help, I am not a gardener or green fingered so please
keep it simple

Regards
Richard

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 AM
andrewpreece

I get leaf curl on my apples when the leaves are growing, though it's not
too bad this year. My experience is that it is aphids sucking the sap out
of the growing leaves. You can buy stuff to kill aphids, but spraying them
with soapy water seems to work too ( I believe it lowers the surface
tension on their breathing spiracles and they suffocate or something ).
The problem is getting the spray onto them as they tend to be well
sheltered by the leaf.

Andy

Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 AM
bnd777

Sounds like Silver leaf to me and this is a contagious disease
The trees must be felled and burnt
Plum trees suffer badly from this I have lost all 5 of mine

Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"bnd777" wrote in message
Sounds like Silver leaf to me and this is a contagious disease
The trees must be felled and burnt
Plum trees suffer badly from this I have lost all 5 of mine

Brown curled leaves are NOT a symptom of silver leaf.
[Strangely enough, silver leaves are one of the symptoms]

See http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/...mcherryd2.html