Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Bamboo - How clumpy is clump forming?

Until this year my Phyllostachys aurea has been very well behaved sending
new cane up in or very close to the existing clump.

This year however it seems to have gone crazy sending out ground level
runners in every direction under the mulch sheet and gravel to 1-2m in every
direction!

all the references seem to say non-invasive or well behaved except an
American reference to being an aggressive spreader in hot climates.

anyone any experience?

--

************************************************** ************************
All outgoing messages scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus

Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Smeckler

Until this year my Phyllostachys aurea has been very well behaved sending
new cane up in or very close to the existing clump.

This year however it seems to have gone crazy sending out ground level
runners in every direction under the mulch sheet and gravel to 1-2m in

every
direction!

all the references seem to say non-invasive or well behaved except an
American reference to being an aggressive spreader in hot climates.

anyone any experience?

No direct experience, but I did do a fair bit of research (i.e. surfing)
some time ago. The consensus seems to be that Phyllostachys species, and P.
aurea in particular, are actually runners rather than clumpers if they're
happy enough i.e. given sufficient sun/nutrients.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Paul Kelly

"Smeckler" wrote in message
Until this year my Phyllostachys aurea has been very well behaved

sending
new cane up in or very close to the existing clump.

This year however it seems to have gone crazy sending out ground level
runners in every direction under the mulch sheet and gravel to 1-2m in

every
direction!

all the references seem to say non-invasive or well behaved except an
American reference to being an aggressive spreader in hot climates.

anyone any experience?

No direct experience, but I did do a fair bit of research (i.e. surfing)
some time ago. The consensus seems to be that Phyllostachys species, and

P.
aurea in particular, are actually runners rather than clumpers if they're
happy enough i.e. given sufficient sun/nutrients.

Oh, pairs of spherical objects! I shall have to be more observant in
future - at least it seem to run on the surface rather than diving deep to
reappear at random locations.

Thanks

pk

Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Annabel

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
Until this year my Phyllostachys aurea has been very well behaved

sending
new cane up in or very close to the existing clump.

This year however it seems to have gone crazy sending out ground level
runners in every direction under the mulch sheet and gravel to 1-2m in

every
direction!

all the references seem to say non-invasive or well behaved except an
American reference to being an aggressive spreader in hot climates.

anyone any experience?

**
All outgoing messages scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus

I hope you don't mind this approach... Any chance of sending me a
propagatable piece. I have a small "black bamboo" you could have in
exchange.

Annabel

Old 10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Smeckler

[...]

Well it does seem to often be sold as a well behaved bamboo, when there are
plenty of stories to the contrary.

A couple of weeks ago, on that 'inner city gardening' program on Channel 4,
the presenter chappie (forget his name) carefully selected a P. aurea for
the garden he was working on. He even pointed out that he was choosing it
because it was described on the label as being 'non invasive' or somesuch.

Old 13-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

bnd777 wrote in message ...
Well I have some you can have too if you would like it

Phyllostachys aurea was around £50 for a 12 inch pot with a couple of
stems reaching about 16ft. Larger pots were around £90 and that is in
Lincolnshire.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 14-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Annabel

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

bnd777 wrote in message ...
Well I have some you can have too if you would like it

Phyllostachys aurea was around £50 for a 12 inch pot with a couple of
stems reaching about 16ft. Larger pots were around £90 and that is in
Lincolnshire.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

And what does Black Bamboo cost, whereI am in Kent its about £50 for
around 7 feet.

I have a thread asking for trades for bamboo posted 10/06/03

Bel

Old 22-06-2003, 03:09 AM
bnd777

Good grief ......some garden centres are trying to take the Michael
I paid £7.50 for 8 inch pots of Phylostacys Aureosulcata and £12.50 for
Pseudosasa Japonica 3 years ago

I would just love some Black Bamboo