Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Melanie

Default Veggie Sowing

I know it's very late for sowing seeds (I've been too busy getting the
floral part of my garden into shape) but are there any vegetables I can sow
now that will crop this year, preferably from the end of August onwards?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
shazzbat

"Melanie" wrote in message
I know it's very late for sowing seeds (I've been too busy getting the
floral part of my garden into shape) but are there any vegetables I can

sow
now that will crop this year, preferably from the end of August onwards?

Thanks.

Yes quite a few. I sowed more carrots today, and put in some more peas.
Runner beans, Possibly broad beans depending on where you live and what the
weather's going to do.

Lettuce, rocket spring onions.

But most of all radishes.

Turnip ( I prefer snowball)

I'm sure other members of the group can think of more.

HTH

Steve

Old 10-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Jayne

According to "Kitchen Garden" magazine you can still sow the following this
month:

Beetroot
Carrots
Courgettes & marrows
Endive
French beans
Lettuce, radish, salad onions
Peas
Pumpkins & squashes
Runner beans
Sprouting broccoli
Swedes
Sweetcorn

Hope this helps!
Jayne

Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
David Hill

If you are sowing late then sow "Early" cropping veg, these have a shorter
growing time than Main crop,
French beans 10 weeks from sowing to pick, Runner beans 12 weeks,

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-06-2003, 11:32 PM
shannie

"Melanie" wrote in message
I know it's very late for sowing seeds (I've been too busy getting the
floral part of my garden into shape) but are there any vegetables I can

sow
now that will crop this year, preferably from the end of August onwards?

Thanks.

Hi Melanie
These are some I have and what it say's on the pack.

Cabbage.....Sovoy King F1.....July to early Sept.. Harvest mid Oct onwards
Carrot.........Autumn King 2.....March to Aug....... Harvest June to Oct
Lettuce ........Little Gem...........March to July........ Harvest May to
Sept
Spr/onion.....Eiffel....................Feb to July............ Harvest May
to Oct
Salad/onion..Ramrod................March to July........Harvest When pencil
thin
Swede..........Virtue..................May to July............Harvest Oct to
March

As Im new to this the only one's I can vouch for are the lettuce, lovely
taste, grew easily for me and the carrot, well, haven't tasted them yet, but
they're growing well for me.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 12-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Edwin Spector

Raddish!
The packet says harvest in three to six weeks after sowing. I'm about to try it
for the first time, so no experience to report.

Edwin
Bath.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Edwin Spector
writes
Raddish!
The packet says harvest in three to six weeks after sowing. I'm about to try it
for the first time, so no experience to report.

They are that quick, but grow best with lots of water - I always find
the ones I grow early in the season are better than later ones.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Ericaceae Rene Blom Gardening 2 07-01-2004 04:43 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
Sowing Lawn - Staffordshire Area paul.bennett United Kingdom 1 31-03-2003 06:44 PM
Last frost in May. When to start sowing veg? Nicholas United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 07:40 PM