Old 13-06-2003, 02:32 PM
The Reid

Default Asparagus weak?

My asparagus is in its second year but most plants are only a couple
of inches high, a few a little six inch bushes. Is this normal?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 14-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Ron

Mike,

Sounds like you have a real problem, I've finished cutting mine and what's
left is reaching for the sky and the tallest is four feet high and in its
second year.

Does your asparagus get enough water?

Is it planted too deeply? (I suspect one or two of my plants are too deep
and they are a bit spindly. I think I might dig them up and replant
shallower if others think this might help.)

What's the depth of soil? My plants are in a raised bed and the soil was
sifted through 1/2 inch chicken wire first and is over 18 inches deep.

Have your plants plenty of food?

I look forward to comments from others.

Regards

Ron

"The Reid wrote

Old 15-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Dwayne

Have you added fertilizer? The best asparagus I have grown was in a raised
bed, filled with about 8 inches of cow manure, 2 inches of dirt, the
asparagus roots, and then another 6 inches of dirt/compost as they came up.
Then I sprinkle more aged cow manure on top in February, or a well rounded
fertilizer.

Dwayne

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
The Reid

Following up to Dwayne

Have you added fertilizer? The best asparagus I have grown was in a raised
bed, filled with about 8 inches of cow manure, 2 inches of dirt, the
asparagus roots, and then another 6 inches of dirt/compost as they came up.
Then I sprinkle more aged cow manure on top in February, or a well rounded
fertilizer.

I put compost in bottom of bed when I started, everything else is
growing OK, but I will try extra feeding.

Its a dry site, with a decent depth of soil over gravel and plenty of
sun.