Old 16-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Yellow potatoe plant

Hi All,

I've just noticed one potatoe plant in the middle of one patch of my
tatties has suddenly gone yellow..... and possibly wilted a bit.

Any guesses as to what is wrong - and do I need to take any action?

Sarah
Old 17-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sarah
Dale writes
Hi All,

I've just noticed one potatoe plant in the middle of one patch of my
tatties has suddenly gone yellow..... and possibly wilted a bit.

Any guesses as to what is wrong - and do I need to take any action?

It would be best to assume that the plant is sick, or it may have been
attacked by something underground. I would take it out before it
infected any other plants - there may be some edible tubers under it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-06-2003, 12:09 PM

I have just started harvesting my first ever potatoes - 2nd earlies
(Charlotte variety). They are fantastic and getting about 15 off each
plant. I have lost a couple of plants along the way - they have gone
yellow and wilted exactly as you describe. Had a look in 'Veg Expert'
book and symptoms don't match anything in there, but I guess it is a
disease, as they have all had the same amount of sun & watering.
Ross

Old 19-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:14:22 +0100, Sarah Dale wrote:

I've just noticed one potatoe plant in the middle of one patch of my
tatties has suddenly gone yellow..... and possibly wilted a bit.

Many thanks for the responses everyone.

Alan, I'd suspected the answer would be to dig it up It's just typical
that this one ill plant should be in the middle of the bed. It's not going
to be easy to get it out without damaging the rest - maybe I'll just cut
thr foliage off and leave the tatties (if there are any) in the ground for
later.

Sarah
Old 20-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sarah
Dale writes
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:14:22 +0100, Sarah Dale wrote:

I've just noticed one potatoe plant in the middle of one patch of my
tatties has suddenly gone yellow..... and possibly wilted a bit.

Many thanks for the responses everyone.

Alan, I'd suspected the answer would be to dig it up It's just typical
that this one ill plant should be in the middle of the bed. It's not going
to be easy to get it out without damaging the rest - maybe I'll just cut
thr foliage off and leave the tatties (if there are any) in the ground for
later.

That would be about your best action Sarah. Use garden gloves and try to
pull the stems from the soil rather than cutting them off - for safety,
treat the haulm as being infected - i.e. burn it, not compost it. There
could be rotted tubers under the haulm, so if you can't take them out
now, put a marker at the place to guide you until you can remove them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Potatoe Woes Sarah Dale United Kingdom 4 09-07-2003 02:12 AM
Potatoe plants from last year's plants Kayla Gardening 6 20-06-2003 06:44 PM
Potatoe Seed Size Dwayne United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 03:26 PM
Potatoe Seed Size [email protected] United Kingdom 7 05-02-2003 01:59 AM
What is plant with miniature potatoe flowers/berries paul United Kingdom 17 05-11-2002 07:46 AM