Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Protecting Blueberries

jane wrote:

: Highbush blueberries can, if grown in ideal conditions, reach 8-10'
: tall, so having a bigger pot is best. The thing that gets me is that
: they are supposed to throw up stools from the base like blackcurrants,
: and you're supposed to cut out all old wood every now and again. Mine
: have *never* thrown up any new basal shoots, so I will be attempting
: to take cuttings soon from the worst condition old bush and then
: chopping it back to ground level to rejuvenate it.

It probably won't help you - but...

Mine are doing that.

Three on one bush and five on another - all starting between the ground
and three inches up. This is their first year with me.
--
__________
Old 21-06-2003, 09:56 PM
jane

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:06:06 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

~jane wrote:
~
~: Highbush blueberries can, if grown in ideal conditions, reach 8-10'
~: tall, so having a bigger pot is best. The thing that gets me is that
~: they are supposed to throw up stools from the base like blackcurrants,
~: and you're supposed to cut out all old wood every now and again. Mine
~: have *never* thrown up any new basal shoots, so I will be attempting
~: to take cuttings soon from the worst condition old bush and then
~: chopping it back to ground level to rejuvenate it.
~
~It probably won't help you - but...
~
~Mine are doing that.
Glad to hear it!

~Three on one bush and five on another - all starting between the ground
~and three inches up. This is their first year with me.

Hopefully the newest bush will do that (must go peer under the netting).
I've given up hope with the ten-year olds unless I do the rather drastic
cut to ground level pruning.

From what I've read it should work quite well. Hope so!

--
jane