Old 30-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Steve Harris

Default Soft fruit for two

In article ], ] (Chris)
wrote:

Maybe I could dispense with the metal
spikes and just put the three-inch square stakes straight into the
ground?

You will need a BIG hammer unless you sharpen one end to a point.
Consider instead digging a hole and concreting. You might get away with
less concrete that is usually recommended for fence posts.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Chris

In article , Rod
writes

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...

In article , Rod
writes

http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/shop/system/index.html

Thanks for your help, Rod.
I tried the above link with three browsers and none of them would load
the page! It might pay that company to use simpler HTML.
My garden centre has some stiffish black netting in a 2 metre width -
with a square mesh of about a centimetre.

I did look at your suggestion for metal posts - I just feel more
comfortable working with wood.

I reckon I've room for about 3 metres wide by perhaps 6 or 8 metres
long. It's a pity if internal supports are needed - but I suppose they
could be thinner - and for a double row of cordons using the internal
posts to hold the wires I would have to use two internals within the
three metres, which is perhaps a bit over the top?

The internal posts might be 2 x 2 and the top beams 2 x 1?
4 x 1 gravel boards at the bottom.

It comes out a bit expensive for an amateur gardener - maybe three
hundred quid - but it might be worth it in fun and education.

and fruit :-))
Commercial ones aren't cheap and yours will probably be stronger than
the ally ones. I suggest you persist with Knowle nets though
because they will advise and supply top netting the right size so you
don't have any stitching to do. Do bear in mind my advice come
from somebody who likes a *lot* of fruit and adjust your plan accordingly.

I phoned them and they do seem very good. The catalogue arrived this
morning and I reckon it will be cheaper to buy from them than design and
make my own. They do cages for brassicas, too. Excellent! Thanks.
(Still can't get their site - tried everything - including turning off
my HOSTS file.)
--
Chris
Old 23-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Registered User

Location: West Sussex
Default Jostaberries

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks we have picked about 14lb fruit from our jostaberry bush that we inherited on our allotment.
Have turned them into the most sensational jams, fools, frozen yoghurts, cakes.
Lost the whole crop to birds last year but netted heavily this year. Apart from a bit of pruning now and then, no other care taken of it whatsoever!

Soft Fruit Protection p. pleater United Kingdom 2 17-02-2009 07:56 PM
Soft fruit in acid soil Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 11-03-2005 09:31 AM
Moving Soft Fruit vsop United Kingdom 2 30-08-2004 05:39 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 24 25-06-2003 08:20 PM
Soft fruit against a north dacing wall? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 08:12 AM