Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Chris

Default Soft fruit for two

Thinking about growing soft fruit.
What to grow - varieties and how much (for two people)?
Where in Lincolnshire could I look at some fruit cages to get design
ideas?
--
Chris
Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
The Devil's Advocate

You must have strawberries (1 doz plants?), raspberries (10 will soon make a
lot more), blackcurrants(6 plants) and loganberries (1 plant)

Chris ] wrote:
: Thinking about growing soft fruit.
: What to grow - varieties and how much (for two people)?
: Where in Lincolnshire could I look at some fruit cages to get design
: ideas?

--
praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Chris Norton

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:40:27 +0000 (UTC), "The Devil's Advocate"
wrote:

You must have strawberries (1 doz plants?), raspberries (10 will soon make a
lot more), blackcurrants(6 plants) and loganberries (1 plant)

From what I`ve read, 10 canes of raspberrys could produce as much as
50lb of fruit. Thats alot of Raspberries imho!!!!! Luckily my mother
could eat them untill they come out of her ears, be sick, and eat some
more!!!!

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Chris

I was thinking of, say, one each of: gooseberry; black currant; white
currant; red currant.
How big would the cage need to be?
And what varieties would you recommend?

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Joe Bloggs

There's just one of me, and I've got :-

Blackberry (1)
Tayberry (3)
Loganberry (1)
Sunberry (1)
Blackcurrant (1)
Gooseberry (1)
Raspberries (ordinary and autumn)
Strawberries
Rhubarb
Apples (4)
Pear (1)

Just can't help myself. I got caught by the bug. Hoping to get cuttings of
Jostaberry and Worcesterberry from my Dad this year too.
What I can't eat immediately I jam or make chutney from, and I always seem to
have attentive friends during harvest time. It's very therapeutic watching them
flower and fruit, as is all gardening of course ! There's no better way to start
the day than wander round the garden early morning and eat strawberries covered
in dew. Plus a lot of this fruit you would never be able to buy from a
supermarket or whatever.
Enjoy !

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Tim

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:29:57 +0100, Joe Bloggs wrote:

There's just one of me, and I've got :-

Blackberry (1)
Tayberry (3)
Loganberry (1)
Sunberry (1)

What's a sunberry ? I've never heard of them.
Tim.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Joe Bloggs writes
There's just one of me, and I've got :-

Blackberry (1)
Tayberry (3)
Loganberry (1)
Sunberry (1)
Blackcurrant (1)
Gooseberry (1)
Raspberries (ordinary and autumn)
Strawberries
Rhubarb
Apples (4)
Pear (1)

Just can't help myself. I got caught by the bug. Hoping to get cuttings of
Jostaberry and Worcesterberry from my Dad this year too.

Have you thought about medlar and mulberry? Medlar - wonderful jelly for
eating with meats, and an attractive low maintenance tree. Mulberry -
takes a few years to start fruiting, but very rich flavoured fruit,
quite unlike any of the other berries. The last couple of years I just
pigged myself straight from the tree, but this year I'm going to have to
start looking for other uses.

Oh, and if you haven't any yet, try alpine strawberries. Don't bother to
pick them - they're too small and fiddly - but eaten straight from the
plant they have a very intense and concentrated strawberry taste.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Kay Easton

In article oprq9q3lh5wxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:29:57 +0100, Joe Bloggs wrote:

There's just one of me, and I've got :-

Blackberry (1)
Tayberry (3)
Loganberry (1)
Sunberry (1)

What's a sunberry ? I've never heard of them.

Another blackberry-raspberry cross. Shiny fruit, not the best tasting of
these hybrids.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Tim

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:48:47 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article oprq9q3lh5wxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:29:57 +0100, Joe Bloggs wrote:

There's just one of me, and I've got :-

Blackberry (1)
Tayberry (3)
Loganberry (1)
Sunberry (1)

What's a sunberry ? I've never heard of them.

Another blackberry-raspberry cross. Shiny fruit, not the best tasting of
these hybrids.

Ah, so. I like the two fruits individually so much I don't think I'd like a
cross.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
The Devil's Advocate

me too, well I wouldn't be sick!

--
: wrote:
:
: You must have strawberries (1 doz plants?), raspberries (10 will soon
make a
: lot more), blackcurrants(6 plants) and loganberries (1 plant)
:
:
:
: From what I`ve read, 10 canes of raspberrys could produce as much as

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Rod

"Chris" ] wrote in message ]...
I was thinking of, say, one each of: gooseberry; black currant; white
currant; red currant.
How big would the cage need to be?
And what varieties would you recommend?

Your Red /White Currants and gooseberries won't take much room at all if you grow them as cordons, grow 2 of each
red/white as single cordons and 1 gooseberry trained as a double cordon, you'll need about 8-10ft of row with posts and
wire for those. Quality is much better than you get from bushes and you can pick your gooseberries without getting cut
to ribbons.
I would add to that half a dozen raspberry canes, a few strawberries say 2 or3 of perhaps 4 varieties to spread the
season, and a blackcurrant - I prefer the older tastier varieties like Wellington XXX.

Rod

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Kay Easton

In article oprq9t35x7wxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
wrote:

What's a sunberry ? I've never heard of them.

Another blackberry-raspberry cross. Shiny fruit, not the best tasting of
these hybrids.

Ah, so. I like the two fruits individually so much I don't think I'd like a
cross.

Doesn't necessarily follow. Do you like loganberries? If you do, you'd
probably like the tayberry and boysenberry. And what you get, in effect,
is something like the raspberry in terms of uses, but with the vigour of
a blackberry. They freeze well too - they lose some of the texture, but
not so badly as strawberries, but they keep all their flavour.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Rod

"Kay Easton" wrote in message you'd
probably like the tayberry and boysenberry. And what you get, in effect,
is something like the raspberry in terms of uses, but with the vigour of
a blackberry.

I forgot to put Tayberry in my list, one of my favourites, lovely fruit, easy to grow and reliable heavy crops. That
will need a minimum of 12ft post and wire. Still gets plagued by raspberry beetle but not too bad if you keep up with
the picking to minimise damage.

Rod

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Alan Gould

In article oprq9t35x7wxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
What's a sunberry ? I've never heard of them.

Another blackberry-raspberry cross. Shiny fruit, not the best tasting of
these hybrids.

Ah, so. I like the two fruits individually so much I don't think I'd like a
cross.

Sunberry may be what we know as worcesterberry. It grows as a small very
dark gooseberry - we are just beginning to pick our two bushes of it
this week. They are interesting enough as a novelty, but we prefer to
rely on straight gooseberries - and later on blackberries for reliable
annual supplies.

According to Joanna Readman in her 'Fruity Stories'; a jostaberry is a
cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry; and a worcesterberry is a
small, purple, very thorny gooseberry - I believe it to be a blackberry
cross with gooseberry.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Soft Fruit Protection p. pleater United Kingdom 2 17-02-2009 07:56 PM
Soft fruit in acid soil Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 11-03-2005 09:31 AM
Moving Soft Fruit vsop United Kingdom 2 30-08-2004 05:39 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 24 25-06-2003 08:20 PM
Soft fruit against a north dacing wall? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 08:12 AM