Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
David Hill

Default Horse flys

wonder why it is that others seem able to report the first Swallows, or
Humming bird moths whilst all I seem to have is the first Horse fly's
The last 10 days they have been going mad, I am sure they are earlier than
in past years, trying to plant dahlias I am being attacked constantly,
nothing to kill 30 or more in a day, and I am only getting about 1 in 3 of
attacks.
Would be nice to find out how to get rid of them at source.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Essjay001

Sorry but I cannot believe thay you have a horse that flys, unless of course
your real name is Harry Potter

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
David Hill

".........Sorry but I cannot believe thay(?) you have a horse that flys,
unless of course your real name is Harry Potter...."

What a foal I am. must be lack of sleep
should have said Tabanidae (horse flies, gad flies, stouts, clegs)
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R38436.HTM

Who's Harry Potter?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Drakanthus

Sorry but I cannot believe thay you have a horse that flys, unless of
course
your real name is Harry Potter

Haven't you heard of Pegasus?

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Tim

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:52:06 +0100, Drakanthus
wrote:

Sorry but I cannot believe thay you have a horse that flys, unless of

course
your real name is Harry Potter

Haven't you heard of Pegasus?

I thought it was going to be a new version of
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit-flies like a banana".

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Drakanthus

Sorry but I cannot believe thay you have a horse that flys, unless of
course
your real name is Harry Potter

Haven't you heard of Pegasus?

I thought it was going to be a new version of
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit-flies like a banana".

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car - I'm just glad
horses don't fly.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Mike

In article ,
Drakanthus writes

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car -

You would have thought that they would have learnt by now wouldn't you?

I'm just glad
horses don't fly.

Well according to Mabbett, Pigs do ;-)

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Drakanthus

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car -

You would have thought that they would have learnt by now wouldn't you?

It is said elephants have good memories. That must be why they avoid hitting
the windscreen.

(Sorry - I must have watched too much Monty Python!)

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Mike

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car -

You would have thought that they would have learnt by now wouldn't you?

It is said elephants have good memories. That must be why they avoid hitting
the windscreen.

No, it's because Elephants don't fly

(Sorry - I must have watched too much Monty Python!)

Who?

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Drakanthus

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car -

You would have thought that they would have learnt by now wouldn't you?

It is said elephants have good memories. That must be why they avoid

hitting
the windscreen.

No, it's because Elephants don't fly

That's because they are smart - they take the train!
Besides - they would have to pay excess baggage charges for their trunk!

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
The Q

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Sorry but I cannot believe thay you have a horse that flys, unless of
course
your real name is Harry Potter

Haven't you heard of Pegasus?

I thought it was going to be a new version of
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit-flies like a banana".

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car - I'm just

glad
horses don't fly.

It's worse when they come in for a landing !!! as a mate of mine found
driving his Triumph Spitfire. Neither Horse nor car survived.
Horse got spooked, jumped country hedge, landed on moving Triumph Spiftire.
My Mate had quite a few injuries too

The Q

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:17:27 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

wonder why it is that others seem able to report the first Swallows, or
Humming bird moths whilst all I seem to have is the first Horse fly's
The last 10 days they have been going mad, I am sure they are earlier than
in past years, trying to plant dahlias I am being attacked constantly,
nothing to kill 30 or more in a day, and I am only getting about 1 in 3 of
attacks.
Would be nice to find out how to get rid of them at source.

We are troubled by another biting fly. It's much smaller than a cleg,
smaller even than a house fly but only slightly so, but its bite and
resulting itchy lump are just as uncomfortable and long-lasting. It
may be a stable fly, as we have horses in one field adjacent to the
garden and cattle in another, but doesn't look like the diagram of a
stable fly in my insect book. In fairness, the only ones I been able
to study at leisure have been well squashed. A characteristic feature
seems to be what looks like a white spot or bar near the base of each
wing, which become a stripe when the wings are folded together. Does
anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be?

--
Chris

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Essjay001

David Hill wrote:
".........Sorry but I cannot believe thay(?) you have a horse that
flys, unless of course your real name is Harry Potter...."

What a foal I am. must be lack of sleep
should have said Tabanidae (horse flies, gad flies, stouts, clegs)
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R38436.HTM

Who's Harry Potter?

Don't ask me I'm lost!

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Essjay001

Drakanthus wrote:

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car - I'm
just glad horses don't fly.

I second that

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Essjay001

Mike wrote:
In article ,
Drakanthus writes

I'm fed up cleaning fly corpses off the windscreen of my car -

You would have thought that they would have learnt by now wouldn't
you?

The problem with your theory is, those that learn don't live to tell the
tale.

Fruit Flys Bill Orr Edible Gardening 0 15-01-2005 08:41 PM
What's the difference betaeen crane flys and gnats? Some Guy Gardening 2 05-09-2004 05:34 PM
Horse flys David Hill United Kingdom 15 25-06-2003 08:20 PM
Flys on Gardena bush David Shalita Gardening 2 16-04-2003 05:08 PM
Helga, help me with my flys? Katt Stevens Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:44 PM