Old 26-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Composting Tea Bags

In article oprrc8yshiwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:

| and :
| Q4. Do I need a License to compost at home?
|
| No. Householders are excluded from the requirement to have a waste
| management license for a composting site. This requirement only applies to
| "establishments and undertakings". The amended Animal By-products Order
| will also exempt domestic households from the need to be licensed by the
| State Veterinary Service to compost catering/kitchen waste.

In a word, "crap". The 1999 order makes composting of any animal
products illegal - the correct answer to the question is "yes". The
correct question to which the answer is "no" is "Will I need ...".

| http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

It isn't a major point, but this document attempts to hide the fact
that the Animal Byproducts Order 1999 was a balls-up.

| I can find no hints at all that this might be true. I can conceivably see
| the reg. being applied to commercial composting companies.

Look at the actual Statutory Instrument - I found it quickly using
Google. From 1999 onwards, the situation was as I described.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Composting tea bags MPost Lawns 5 13-09-2005 01:14 PM
tea bags gramgill United Kingdom 57 04-02-2005 01:06 PM
Tea bags and coffee grains. GaryM Gardening 7 25-10-2003 04:22 AM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 03:20 PM