Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Tim

Default Composting Tea Bags

On 26 Jun 2003 14:01:19 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article oprrdncalpwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| On 26 Jun 2003 13:34:04 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:
| | I really don't see anywhwere in the 1999 order that says or even
implies | composting. It's clear to me that it only applies to animal
waste products | that are *intended* to be fed to animals (and their
definition of animals | excludes humans).
| I suppose you could stretch the point (quite a lot) and say that
anything | grown on compost could be eaten by animals...
| | How do you interpret it as applying to composting?

By exclusion! If it isn't explicitly permitted, it is forbidden.

I beg to differ on that. If it's not explicitly forbidden (or at least
strongly implied, which it isn't here) then it's permitted.
Funnily enough, part 5 "Restrictions on disposal of animal by-products"
raises the question what a normal householder should do with uneaten meat.

If you go through regs as to what to do with low-risk meat products (it
specifies what to do with high-risk waste), then you'll surely come to the
same conclusion as I did.
That it must be disposed of as a low-risk by-product, by either feeding it
to zoo or kennel animals, sent for research or exported from the country.
:-(
That's more of a problem than worrying if you can tea bags on your
composter.

But I have found the reference to the exclusion of catering waste;
sorry I missed it. It means that you are right that the 1999 order
probably doesn't apply, but the 2001 one does. And, yes, you can
say just that - my compost heap is visited by cats, for example.

Mmm, true. Got me there. :-( But if you don't put any meat products on
(as you probably don't anyway)
then that's ok, as there are no animal by-products involved, and therefore
not covered by the order.
I still don't get the connection between things like tea-bags and broccoli
leaves....

| The article said:
| Tamzin Phillips said: "It presents us with some interesting
challenges. We
| cannot compost the leaves off the cauliflowers, the teabags or the
coffee
| grounds."
| | I don't see how the National Trust got to that conclusion at all.
| Feeding it to animals, as swill or whatever, sure, that's clear. But
| composting? And what applies to the NT catering doesn't apply to
private | homes as the NT is a commercial business.

I think that she is deluded. But the only difference I can see
between commercial and domestic applies to used cooking oil.

Yes I noted that. I wonder why they added it?

Tim.

home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Composting tea bags MPost Lawns 5 13-09-2005 01:14 PM
tea bags gramgill United Kingdom 57 04-02-2005 01:06 PM
Tea bags and coffee grains. GaryM Gardening 7 25-10-2003 04:22 AM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 03:20 PM