Old 25-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Dan

Default What and When?

Hi All,

I've currently got some reasonable crops of tomato's, peppers, chilles,
potatos leeks radishes and onions going on not bad!

I'm wondering what else i can plant from seed at this time of year -
Actually doesnt have to be food - Anything Prefer things perenial...

Are there any sites which give a month by month guide of what to do when? I
found some on the bbc gardening website but it didnt go into much detail!

Oh, and somethings eating my cauliflowers, any idea what? Not a snail/slug,
as theres no slime trail, would a cat eat the leaves? Or a bird maybe? Hmm.

Cheers,
Dan

--

www.dankeeley.co.uk

Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Chris Norton

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:10:44 +0100, "Dan"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've currently got some reasonable crops of tomato's, peppers, chilles,
potatos leeks radishes and onions going on not bad!

I'm wondering what else i can plant from seed at this time of year -
Actually doesnt have to be food - Anything Prefer things perenial...

Are there any sites which give a month by month guide of what to do when? I
found some on the bbc gardening website but it didnt go into much detail!

Oh, and somethings eating my cauliflowers, any idea what? Not a snail/slug,
as theres no slime trail, would a cat eat the leaves? Or a bird maybe? Hmm.

Cheers,
Dan

Swedes can be done at this time. Maybe some sprouting broc too.
Old 26-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Hi All,

I've currently got some reasonable crops of tomato's, peppers, chilles,
potatos leeks radishes and onions going on not bad!

I'm wondering what else i can plant from seed at this time of year -
Actually doesnt have to be food - Anything Prefer things perenial...

Are there any sites which give a month by month guide of what to do when? I
found some on the bbc gardening website but it didnt go into much detail!

Oh, and somethings eating my cauliflowers, any idea what? Not a snail/slug,
as theres no slime trail, would a cat eat the leaves? Or a bird maybe? Hmm.

Cheers,
Dan

Swedes can be done at this time. Maybe some sprouting broc too.

Chinese cabbage seed goes in around now: any earlier and it'll bolt.
Matures very quickly. More lettuces, too. Doesn't sound from your list
as though you need a lot of help!

Any container-raised plant can be planted out now, or almost any other
time of year. Seeds are a different matter: go by what it says on the
packets of what you fancy, and don't push your luck, as seedlings
germinated too late may not be fit for the winter. Seeds are now so
ridiculously expensive that I don't usually take risks except with
seed I've saved from my own plants.

Websites aren't the best places to learn gardening (or anything else):
have a look at the books in your local bookshop. Or the library to try
before you buy, though the best are usually out! I've just met a
wonderful little beginner's book called *Everything you need to know
about gardening but were afraid to ask*: not a very original title,
but a fine book. Authors are Rob Cassy and Valerie Scriven, and the
bookshop should get it for you, and for some reason it's being sold at
a knock-down price -- probably because the authors aren't telly
posers. Though I've sneered at the telly crowd, I think Titchmarsh's
*How to be a Gardener* is good.

If there's no slime trail, it's probably caterpillars on your caulis:
examine thoroughly, especially under the leaves, and give them the old
finger and thumb, and a suitable spray if you really have to. If
you've been seeing white butterflies about, I guarantee there'll be
eggs or grubs or both.

Mike.
Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Dan

[...]

Excellent ill check that out, and i'll certainly head down the library one
lunchtime next week!

Cheers,
Dan