Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Janice

Default Summer Sun, Winter Shade

I want to plant an area of my garden that has reasonable sun in summer, but
is completely in shade all winter.

I have some extra perennials from dividing and cuttings, but they're
generally considered sun-loving (achillea, campanula, phlox, aster).

The perennials are dormant in winter when they'll be completely in shade,
but they'll get sun in summer when they're growing. So, will they get the
sun that they need to grow well or do they have to be in sun the whole year?

Thanks,

Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Zizz

"Janice" wrote in message
I want to plant an area of my garden that has reasonable sun in summer,

but
is completely in shade all winter.

I have some extra perennials from dividing and cuttings, but they're
generally considered sun-loving (achillea, campanula, phlox, aster).

The perennials are dormant in winter when they'll be completely in shade,
but they'll get sun in summer when they're growing. So, will they get the
sun that they need to grow well or do they have to be in sun the whole

year?

Thanks,

I have exactly the same problem .. the back garden is in shade all winter
and has sun in the summer and grow all four plants you've mentioned with no
problems.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Janice

Thanks for your reply, Zizz. That's what I wanted to hear. Now I just have
to dig out the area I want to plant up, so I hope the weather holds out for
a few days.

Regards,

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Janice" wrote in message
I want to plant an area of my garden that has reasonable sun in summer,

but
is completely in shade all winter.

I have some extra perennials from dividing and cuttings, but they're
generally considered sun-loving (achillea, campanula, phlox, aster).

The perennials are dormant in winter when they'll be completely in

shade,
but they'll get sun in summer when they're growing. So, will they get

the
sun that they need to grow well or do they have to be in sun the whole

year?

Thanks,

I have exactly the same problem .. the back garden is in shade all winter
and has sun in the summer and grow all four plants you've mentioned with

no
problems.

Winter-Summer: - Pond-Winter.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 18-01-2009 10:04 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 19-03-2003 05:08 AM