Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Dave

Default compost bin

got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum with the top cut off I would
like to adapt it into a compost bin does anyone have any tips on
making it as efficient as possible rather than just chucking my garden
rubbish in it and hoping for the best thanks in advance

Old 27-06-2003, 10:32 PM
bnd777

Just fill it with a good mix of grass, shredded prunings,straw,horse muck,
weeds, shredded paper/newspaper/torn up cardboard,veg and fruit and kitchen
scraps .......a few buckets of urine cover with a good lid of some sort and
leave for 8 weeks
Ideally you need at least 2 bins pref 3 ( make some up using pallets pulled
apart and put back together close board style but with a removable half
front

Then turn the contents from 1st bin into the 2nd one add a shovel full of
wormy soil cover and leave for another 8 weeks ............repeat and then
leave for 12 months before use

you can start another bin meanwhile

Old 27-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Oliver Keating

"Dave" wrote in message
got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum with the top cut off I

would
like to adapt it into a compost bin does anyone have any tips on
making it as efficient as possible rather than just chucking my garden
rubbish in it and hoping for the best thanks in advance

I personally compost all my kitchen waste too, and it seems to decompose
much much faster than garden waste. And its also environmentall friendly as
its less rubbish that has to be transported to a landfill

Old 28-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Essjay001

Dave wrote:
got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum

50 galleon must be an armada.......you must be from fleet

Old 28-06-2003, 12:20 AM
cpemma

Dave wrote:
got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum with the top cut off
I would like to adapt it into a compost bin does anyone have any tips
on making it as efficient as possible rather than just chucking my
garden rubbish in it and hoping for the best thanks in advance

Cut the bottom off as well, for good drainage and to let the worms in and
out. Ventilation holes seem to be optional, my ex-council bins don't have
any apart from the gaps round the bottom door flap. And 2 bins are essential
for continuity.

Old 28-06-2003, 12:32 AM
bnd777

Sorry to disagree but good drainage is not really nessecary in a first HOT
bin (which is what this plastic bin should be )if you get the mix right and
the right amount of fluid and cover ............
Rats can get in under neath if you cut the base off
All my 7 bins have solid bases

Old 28-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , cpemma
writes
Dave wrote:
got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum with the top cut off
I would like to adapt it into a compost bin does anyone have any tips
on making it as efficient as possible rather than just chucking my
garden rubbish in it and hoping for the best thanks in advance

Cut the bottom off as well, for good drainage and to let the worms in and
out. Ventilation holes seem to be optional, my ex-council bins don't have
any apart from the gaps round the bottom door flap. And 2 bins are essential
for continuity.

Three! One to fill, one to mature, and one to empty

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-06-2003, 10:35 AM
martin

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:04:35 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
got my hands on a empty 50 galleon plastic drum

50 galleon must be an armada.......you must be from fleet

or if it's empty the Marie Celeste?
--
martin