Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
David

Default Fence Posts

In article , sw
writes

Why? This is the first I've heard of it.

As I understand the matter, it's because cement requires relatively
large amounts of energy to burn the lime/chalk and again to transport
the result, especially if it's bought as ready-mix (I doubt concrete
post manufacturers do this, though).
Wood is better :-)

In Denmark the cement factory's supply the local community with their
excess heat which the householders use for central heating.
--
David

Old 07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Simon Avery

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Hello Nick

Even sawn untreated softwood, which rots fastest of all
(opposed to round, split or half-round) lasts longer than 5
years. Round untreated softwood posts I put in ~15 years
ago are still standing soundly (At Greenaway house estate -
to replace fences completely smashed after the '87 storms).
I know they're untreated because we cut them ourselves from
local Douglas Fir, Scots Pine and Larch.

NM I can witness the same, leading to weakening to the point of
NM just snapping in under 2 years. Not once, but many times.

Eek. I guess concrete and metal posts are popular around your way
then? And what do BT and the local eleco's use for overhead apparatus?

NM The reason is that it isn't the water that causes the
NM trouble, but the fungi. There are MANY more wood destroying
NM fungi in the richer soils, and they thrive MUCH better.
NM Peat is a very effective preservative, but even poor, acid
NM soils aren't too bad. Absolutely the worst for fungal
NM attack are the rich, slightly alkaline loams.

Gotya, and I understand now. I have removed posts from moorland bogs
to find them more solid underground than above - it's quite weird to
see a post that's 4" across at the bottom and 2" for most of its
length.

True, Yew is an exceptional tree. The only one (AFAIK) that
doesn't rot at all, hence the excessive age of some of 'em.
Tad tricky to get it in enough volume to be commercially
considered though.

NM It rots, too - even the heartwood. Just very slowly.

Very, /very/ slowly. Long enough so that you'd never have to replace
your own work.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/

Old 08-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Simon Avery wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Even sawn untreated softwood, which rots fastest of all
(opposed to round, split or half-round) lasts longer than 5
years. Round untreated softwood posts I put in ~15 years
ago are still standing soundly (At Greenaway house estate -
to replace fences completely smashed after the '87 storms).
I know they're untreated because we cut them ourselves from
local Douglas Fir, Scots Pine and Larch.

NM I can witness the same, leading to weakening to the point of
NM just snapping in under 2 years. Not once, but many times.

Eek. I guess concrete and metal posts are popular around your way
then? And what do BT and the local eleco's use for overhead apparatus?

Yes. You raise an interesting point about BT etc. Telegraph poles
and railway sleepers were softwood, and last for half a century at
least. The way they are treated is to put them in a tank, withdraw
much of the air, and then release creosote into it while restoring
normal pressure. They then draw the creosote (or whatever it is,
perhaps something even nastier) right into the cells.

NM The reason is that it isn't the water that causes the
NM trouble, but the fungi. There are MANY more wood destroying
NM fungi in the richer soils, and they thrive MUCH better.
NM Peat is a very effective preservative, but even poor, acid
NM soils aren't too bad. Absolutely the worst for fungal
NM attack are the rich, slightly alkaline loams.

Gotya, and I understand now. I have removed posts from moorland bogs
to find them more solid underground than above - it's quite weird to
see a post that's 4" across at the bottom and 2" for most of its
length.

Yes, indeed, and that is why most of the neolithic organic remains
(bodies, clothes etc.) come from peat bogs.

True, Yew is an exceptional tree. The only one (AFAIK) that
doesn't rot at all, hence the excessive age of some of 'em.
Tad tricky to get it in enough volume to be commercially
considered though.

NM It rots, too - even the heartwood. Just very slowly.

Very, /very/ slowly. Long enough so that you'd never have to replace
your own work.

My (limited) observation is that sapwood rots in about a decade in
fertile alkaline loam, but even a 2" yew branch has a considerable
core of heartwood. I have seen rotten yew heartwood, but have no
idea how long it had been there ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Howlis

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
level? My understanding is that keeping them out of contact with the
soil helps considerably (i.e. by setting them in concrete), but would
wrapping the bases in polythene make things better or worse (allowing
for some drainage at the base to let water out)?

--
Chris

fence posts safe for compost bin? David Edible Gardening 3 16-12-2004 11:06 PM
Protecting Fence Posts pakdog Lawns 0 17-06-2004 10:06 PM
source for TALL cedar fence posts? Jane Peppler North Carolina 2 30-05-2003 02:32 PM
How deep to sink fence posts next to ditch Andy Juniper United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 03:49 PM