Old 03-07-2003, 07:33 AM
bnd777

Default Fence Posts

Always put a brick or piece of broken paving right at the base of the hole
so the post is on this not soil when the concrete is poured in

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

"bnd777" wrote in message
Its also recomended that you stand the base of all fence posts in a

bucket
of creosote for 48 hrs before putting them in concrete and drill a hole
above soil level at an angle downwards into which periodically you can

add
creosote and fill with a cork
"Anne Wheeldon" wrote in message

Interesting; I have had ideas along this line myself ( drilling a top-up
hole ) but never
tried it out. I remember seeing a neighbours old fence post which was
rotten. It split in
half when he got to grips with it, even though it looked reasonable on the
outside. The
entire inner part had rotted away, leaving only a shell about 1/10 inch
thick. It appeared
the beasties had eaten everything except the nasty tasting impregnated

wood
on the outside!
My advice is therefore to also drench any holes you may drill in a
fence post with
preservative, lest you provide rot with a way into the centre of the post,
bypassing the
preservative.

Andy.

Old 03-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gary Woods writes:
| Chris Hogg wrote:
|
| What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
| level?
|
| You could also use wood which is naturally rot resistant. Mature locust is
| legendary; old farmer's joke:
|
| How do you know when a locust fencepost needs replacing?
| Well, you put a small rock on top of the post when you set it.
| When the rock rots away, you should think about another post.
|
| Now you're going to tell me it doesn't grow over there and this is a waste
| of electrons? Grows like a weed in some areas here; nasty thorny stuff,
| and hard enough that you need to have your chain saw file at hand while
| cutting it...

Robinia pseudoacacia? Yes, it is semi-naturalised here. But it
doesn't last all that well - our conditions are a LOT tougher
than yours in this respect. Also, the wood is probably rather
softer, because of our miserable summers.

The only wood that I know of that grows in the UK that is seriously
resistant to rot at the soil boundary is yew, and then only the
heartwood. Oak, locust, hawthorn etc. heartwood and yew sapwood
have some resistance, but only a few year's worth at 3" diameter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:32 AM
David Hill

If you can get them then Chestnut posts will last very well

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"David Hill" writes:
| If you can get them then Chestnut posts will last very well

Not in my experience. Even soaked in creosote for a fortnight,
they lasted only a few years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM

bnd777 wrote:
Its also recomended that you stand the base of all fence posts in a bucket
of creosote for 48 hrs before putting them in concrete and drill a hole
above soil level at an angle downwards into which periodically you can add
creosote and fill with a cork

That of course is now illegal! :-)

--
Chris Green )

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Chris Norton

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:47:37 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
level?

You could also use wood which is naturally rot resistant. Mature locust is
legendary; old farmer's joke:

How do you know when a locust fencepost needs replacing?
Well, you put a small rock on top of the post when you set it.
When the rock rots away, you should think about another post.

Now you're going to tell me it doesn't grow over there and this is a waste
of electrons? Grows like a weed in some areas here; nasty thorny stuff,
and hard enough that you need to have your chain saw file at hand while
cutting it...

Good point about the rot resistant timber. Wonder if I can get my
uncle to cut me some nice Iron Bark posts and ship em over from
Brisbane, Australia. 8-))

/me goes to find transport rates.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:32 PM
john darling

"sw" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
level? My understanding is that keeping them out of contact with the
soil helps considerably (i.e. by setting them in concrete), but would
wrapping the bases in polythene make things better or worse (allowing
for some drainage at the base to let water out)?

My go! My go!
Having just put up a fence here are some tips that I got:
- Soak the bottom of the posts for a day or two in a mixture of old engine
oil and creosote.
- Put a collar around the concrete.
- Put concrete posts in the ground and bolt the wooden posts to them-
probably yhe best way and not all that obstrusive.
- Plant a good defensive hedge (holly, hawthorne etc) along the fence so
when it does eventually go the hedge will have taken its place

Old 04-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Paul Kelly" writes:

| I haven't been following this thread so sorry if this has been said, but the
| problem is often water pooling on top of the in-ground concrete and the post
| at that point thereby sitting in a semiperemant puddle. This can be avoided
| by sloping the concrete away from the post to encourage run off and futher
| helped by placing gravel around the base of the post. In moist ground some
| contractors will dip the in ground section of post in pitch &/or extent the
| conrete to surface level.

I was talking about plain wooden posts - no concrete.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

fence posts safe for compost bin? David Edible Gardening 3 16-12-2004 11:06 PM
Protecting Fence Posts pakdog Lawns 0 17-06-2004 10:06 PM
source for TALL cedar fence posts? Jane Peppler North Carolina 2 30-05-2003 02:32 PM
How deep to sink fence posts next to ditch Andy Juniper United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 03:49 PM