Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Sam

Default Is it just me...?

Popped outside tonight for "20 minutes or so" to check a couple of
things. Having done them, decided to cut a couple of roses to put in
a vase in the house. So I got out my "snips" but before I got to the
roses at the bottom of the garden I saw the brambles behind the
compost bin. Been meaning to prune them for ages now, never quite gor
round to it. So I decided to get those worst couple of stems, and
then got carried away and over an hour later husband came out to see
where I was and found me behind a 5ft + high pile of prunings!

Ashamed to say I'd been so lax so far, but feel tonnes better for a
job well done (and yes I know I've left the roots in, but better this
than nothing, that's what I say). (Apart from my ankles that is -
because I wasn't planning on doing anything serious I didnt have good
footware on and my ankles are now scratched all over)

Anyway, thought I'd share that with you and maybe inspire someone else
to tackle one of them horrid jobs - it can be quite fun when you get
going. And now we can have a bonfire tomorrow night too.

Sam
Old 03-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Druss

"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

That I would say is the definition of a real gardener, one who can just pop
out to, for e.g. pick a lettuce, and can be found on the wrong side of the
garden, "just tidying something up", or "just weeding this bit", or even
just completely lost in their own little gardening world, unaware that the
world is moving on around them.
Duncan

Old 03-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Chris Norton

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:11:44 +0100, "Druss" wrote:

That I would say is the definition of a real gardener, one who can just pop
out to, for e.g. pick a lettuce, and can be found on the wrong side of the
garden, "just tidying something up", or "just weeding this bit", or even
just completely lost in their own little gardening world, unaware that the
world is moving on around them.
Duncan

How about "I`m just popping down the allottment to clear the front up
a bit". 3 hours later SWMBO strolls over asking what I`ve been up to.
I never stopped not even for 5 minutes, and you`d have sworn I`d never
been there!!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Drakanthus

I wonder how many of us gardeners say to our spouse "Lets just look around
the garden for 5 minutes". It never takes 5 minutes because of the lure of
pulling a few weeds or deadheading a few flowers etc.
Similar problem sitting in the garden. I can spot a weed at 100 yards and it
irritates me to the point I have to get up and pull it.
It is all too easy to miss the beauty of ones own garden and just enjoy it,
without looking around at what can be changed or needs to be done.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 03-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Victoria Clare

"Drakanthus" wrote in
:

Similar problem sitting in the garden. I can spot a weed at 100 yards
and it irritates me to the point I have to get up and pull it.
It is all too easy to miss the beauty of ones own garden

You are so right.
I would have sworn I'd made very few changes to my garden since we moved
in. I mentioned this to my husband, who sat me down and went through point
by point all the work I'd done, but somehow failed to notice ;-)

He lives permanently inside unless I drag him out to admire something, so
he can see it properly (if only through the windows).

Victoria

Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Sam

I have been wondering about this. Especially since I had a gardener
round to do some of the stuff I havent had time to do and now my pile
has more than doubled in size - and we didnt have a lot of joy with
the fire, I guess it needs to dry out a bit before trying to burn it?

I must now look into purchase/hire costs