Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Sweet Peas

Hi

I like growing sweet peas but because I am not the most organised lad
I tend to be a bit late getting them going from seed...

so I was wondering how practical it would be to start them late in the
year, for the following season.

I seem to remember that this is possible but two points are against
it.

(i) I live on the east coast of Scotland, winters can be cool,

(ii) I don't have any glass house facility.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks

Yours

Andrew J
N Fife

Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Ophelia

wrote in message
Hi

I like growing sweet peas but because I am not the most organised lad
I tend to be a bit late getting them going from seed...

so I was wondering how practical it would be to start them late in the
year, for the following season.

I seem to remember that this is possible but two points are against
it.

(i) I live on the east coast of Scotland, winters can be cool,

(ii) I don't have any glass house facility.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks

I am near Stirling and I grew mine in a cold frame last winter.

Ophelia

Old 09-07-2003, 07:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I do that but I'm in a lot different place to you regarding cold weather. Sweet peas do not like to be molly coddled but I suspect your weather would be a touch to cold, even for sweet peas, out in the open

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
wrote in message ...
: Hi
:
Old 09-07-2003, 10:36 PM
David Hill

"......... I was wondering how practical it would be to start them late in
the year, for the following season. ......."

Normal practice, overwinter cold, in a cold greenhouse or coldframe.

I always wonder why the young "Delicate" plants will over winter, but the
mature plants will die at the first frost.
I believe it is something to do with the sap in the young plant having more
sugar or something that acts as an anti freeze.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-07-2003, 09:21 AM

~
~Normal practice, overwinter cold, in a cold greenhouse or coldframe.
~
~I always wonder why the young "Delicate" plants will over winter, but the
~mature plants will die at the first frost.
~I believe it is something to do with the sap in the young plant having more
~sugar or something that acts as an anti freeze.
~

I sowed loads last autumn and popped them in the cold frame and I
think I got about six seedlings from 8 different varieties after being
hit by what I must assume was a massive snail attack. I sowed the
second half of the packets on March 2nd and they overtook the
surviving others like express trains. Now picking two large bunches a
week which is wonderful.

I'm growing them up the same poles as my runners, so I attract bees to
all the flowers. Seems to be working (though tying-in is even more
fiddly than normal!)

Just as an aside, I tried the 50p special offer hanging basket dwarf
sweet peas 'sweetie' from T&M and the flowers are really pretty (some
bicolour, some striped) and very heavily scented. I wish I'd planted
the whole packet and just had a basket full of those rather than the
usual mix!

--
jane

Mark Twain

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
sweet peas Ophelia United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Stapling sweet peas SugarChile Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:15 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM