Old 11-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Barb

Default Weeds!! Help!

I have loads of weeds sprouting between flagstones and on my paths - due to
neglect, I'm afraid, because I couldn't get out and keep it under control.

What's the best method to get rid of them? I've tried spraying some of them
with Roundup, but they just go horrible and brown. If I pull them up, I
don't get the roots, and they soon come back. I thought of pulling them up
and then spraying with Roundup ....?

Someone suggested a burner to burn them out? What do you think of this as a
solution? (I suppose a little diy gas burner would do the job).

Any ideas would be very gratefully accepted! You can tell I'm not a *real*
gardener ....

Barb

Old 11-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Bevan Price

"Barb" wrote in message
.. .
I have loads of weeds sprouting between flagstones and on my paths - due

neglect, I'm afraid, because I couldn't get out and keep it under control.

What's the best method to get rid of them? I've tried spraying some of

them
with Roundup, but they just go horrible and brown. If I pull them up, I
don't get the roots, and they soon come back. I thought of pulling them

up
and then spraying with Roundup ....?

Someone suggested a burner to burn them out? What do you think of this as

solution? (I suppose a little diy gas burner would do the job).

Any ideas would be very gratefully accepted! You can tell I'm not a

*real*
gardener ....

Barb

You need something like a glyphosate-based weedkiller, e.g. Tumbleweed. This
kills roots but it can take 2 to 3 weeks before anything appears to be
happening. Do not be tempted to pull them up before they are completely
dead.

Bevan

Old 11-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Fried Froggy

Hi Barb. If things are so very bad ,maybe,....I say with hesitation and
more advice with others, that your couse could be to remove the first few
inches of soil and replace it with fresh soil. just a thought if all else
fails. Fried Froggy

.. .

Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Pete

I use Pathclear which certainly does the job for me. Takes a couple of days
for weeds to die and go brown. I just leave the dead weeds and they seem to
disappear of their own accord (probably blown & washed by weather)

I have an old watering can which I used to mix a load and then use that to
keep topping up a pump action sprayer - seems to be reasonably economical.

It is supposed to last up to 3 months before weeds start growing back again
which is pretty much what I get (i.e. "it does exactly what it says on the
tin")

Pete

.. .

Old 12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Ken Saunders

"Barb" wrote in message
.. .
I have loads of weeds sprouting between flagstones and on my paths - due

neglect, I'm afraid, because I couldn't get out and keep it under control.

What's the best method to get rid of them? I've tried spraying some of

them
with Roundup, but they just go horrible and brown. If I pull them up, I
don't get the roots, and they soon come back. I thought of pulling them

up
and then spraying with Roundup ....?

Someone suggested a burner to burn them out? ...........

Barb.....I bought one of those Weed Wands. OK for a quick fix but weeds
came back even stronger, and when I came to buy new gas cylinders,
The size of nozzle had changed.A rip orf.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Essjay001

Fried Froggy wrote:
Hi Barb. If things are so very bad ,maybe,....I say with
hesitation and more advice with others, that your course could be to
remove the first few inches of soil and replace it with fresh soil.
just a thought if all else fails. Fried Froggy

Froggy pay attention old chap, Barbs first couple of inches are Flagstones.
LOL

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Old 13-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Howlis

"Barb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'll second Pete's idea, (using "Pathclear") it's the method I use and have
done for years, once a year is all it takes. If applied in spring you'll
never see a weed again.

H.