Old 13-07-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Anyone know anything about peppers?

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

One of them has a small white flower. Should I pick it off or let it
grow?

Thanks
Old 13-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

I think it's normal, we get these dark marks on some of ours.

Leave the flowers on - without hose you won't get any peppers.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 13-07-2003, 11:09 AM
tim50stroud

wrote in message

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

One of them has a small white flower. Should I pick it off or let it
grow?

Thanks

Its my second year of condervatory growing in 6in pots in a growbag tray. I
saved the seeds from last year and to my delight theyre bigger and stronger
than the 4 different vaireties I bought from the seed catalogue. Had bad
greenfly which slowed them down a bit, but most have recovered and are
starting to flower, and one is starting fuit

Old 13-07-2003, 12:08 PM
John Cotterill

All,

Black markings on the stems is perfectly normal and tends to appear streaky
in nature and is a sign that the plant is strong and healthy.

The flowers tend to be very small and rarely open with the pepper/chilli
growing directly out of the flower after a couple of days, these flowers
always tend to appear at the joins between the main stem and side shoots.

Last year I grew chilli's for the first time in my greenhouse and to be
honest they went mad and from three large plants inexcess of 3ft each I must
have cropped several hundred chilli's, they do like to be kept well fed and
on the damp side I use capillary matting which is linked to a bucket of
water to ensure wetness 24 hours a day.

This year I am trying peppers which have so far been very slow but are now
growing strongly.

Hope that helps.