Old 14-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Janice

Default leylandii nightmare

I agree, Duncan. We chopped down a leylandii hedge and we're now beginning
to regret it because we've started having neighbour problems. Not only can
we see everything that's going on in each others houses, but the yobbo kids
flip me the finger and swear at me every time they see me (which is all the
time now that there's no privacy). It's getting so that I'm scared to go
into the garden or even look out of my window in case the kids are there.
There's no reason for the abuse, it's just that the kids are thugs.

Druss" wrote in message
This does highlight perfectly the problem, it not the leylandii

themselves,
but the neighbours, any law which is passed should be passed to control

the
behaviour of neighbours, ............... if PEOPLE are unwilling to be

reasonable then it is
PEOPLE who need to be controlled not the plants they grow.

Old 14-07-2003, 11:32 PM
bnd777

Thoroughly agree that communication and compromise should be the key
Sadly all too often before one can even gently and politely explain the
problem or ask if we could talk there are false accusations flying and all
manner of abuse
It seems to be the way of things these days ......some folk see Leylandi as
"privacy " at all costs One can but speculate at exactly what they have to
hide

"amanda pope" wrote in message
Excellent advice kase.
I recently was asked by a client to inspect his hedge as it looked droopy.
It turned out that the neighbour had sprayed it with agricultural

gramoxone
(paraquat based) I had two days with my skin prickly and my eyes swollen
shut.( i was unaware of the fresh chemical on the plants and walked among
them unprotected)

My client almost started ww3 over it but I got him to chat with the
neighbour. My client hadn't realised that the hedge blocked the flight

path
to a pigeon loft and the neighbour didn't think my client would reduce the
hedge. Now they know what each other wants they have reached a compromise
and the hedge will be kept to a suitable height.

It pays to communicate.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Kase wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi,

My neighbour to the rear of my garden has leylandii frowing. These

block
out
the sunlight in my garden from just after midday.

Has anyone got any legal tips or persuading them to trim them down a

few
metres?

Many thanks,

Richard

Have you tried just asking them? Quite often a neighbour will be unaware

of
the upset that is going on around them because people don't say

anything.
Explain that the trees have now gotten so tall that they are 'blocking

out
your light', 'killing your plants', 'stopping you using the garden' -

just
plain facts. Don't go at it with the belief that they have 'done this to
you' as this could just start conflict.

Old 14-07-2003, 11:32 PM
bnd777

Oh yeah !!!!!!!!!and just watch how fast you land up in court on charge of
Criminal Damage

"hendo2002" wrote in message
Go out at night when they're away and cut the lot down , deny any

knowledge
and there you go ;-)

Old 14-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Janice" contains these words:

I agree, Duncan. We chopped down a leylandii hedge and we're now beginning
to regret it because we've started having neighbour problems. Not only can
we see everything that's going on in each others houses, but the yobbo kids
flip me the finger and swear at me every time they see me (which is all the
time now that there's no privacy). It's getting so that I'm scared to go
into the garden or even look out of my window in case the kids are there.
There's no reason for the abuse, it's just that the kids are thugs.

Maybe the thug family are not pleased to have lost their privacy
either; you might be tempted to restore the status quo by planting
another leylandii hedge.

Janet

Old 15-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Druss

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

This would be my plan, either that or fork out for a largish fence, 6foot
high mayeb with some trellis. Costs a bit but got to be worth it in the long
run, just for peace of mind and to re-acquire your garden.

Very sorry to hear about the troublesome neighbours, where we used to live
in Reading was a bit like that, more of a warzone than a garden, and it used
to be something of a dash from car to front door, to avoid the drunks, and
the youths from what we assumed must have been a young offenders hostel type
place set in the middle of a suburban street.

Duncan

Old 15-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Janice

Probably, but we asked them beforehand and they were very pleased for us to
chop down the trees -- particularly as we were paying for the whole thing,
including a new fence.

Old 15-07-2003, 07:54 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
Oh yeah !!!!!!!!!and just watch how fast you land up in court on charge of
Criminal Damage

But it might be worth it as has been explained to before, the problems
start when you try to mount an expensive defence
--
David

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
oak tree roots and a plumbing nightmare juggler Gardening 15 03-11-2003 02:36 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
Weekend nightmare Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-04-2003 06:44 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM