Old 17-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Danielb

Default cherry trees

Hi,

I'm new to this group and gardening, having just bought my first house. I am
currently attempting to tame my back garden (the previous owners had done
nothing for a whole year), once I have expanded the lawn into the old
allotment and border I would like to plant a cherry tree. But I am not sure
about what type of tree or the best place to plant it. I want something that
will stay pretty small (under 12ft) and will withstand the Scottish weather.
Any advice on verities to look at or where to plant it?

Cheers,

Daniel

Old 17-07-2003, 09:12 PM
bnd777

cherry trees soon get very large and unless you can net them totally you
will find every blackbird in the district will descend on it long before
cherries are ripe
All you will get is a mass of cherry stones on your lawn
After 28 yrs we removed ours last year

Old 18-07-2003, 03:33 AM
Dwayne

I am in the U.S. and we have cherries that are yellow when ripe. I dont
think they are as sweet as the red ones, but the birds let you pick them,
because they dont know they are ripe. Could you find them there, or get
someone to produce one for you there?

Just a thought.

Dwayne

Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 AM
bnd777

The birds here dont bother that they are yellow or unripe they just eat the
lot

"Danielb" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm new to this group and gardening, having just bought my first

house.
am
currently attempting to tame my back garden (the previous owners had

done
nothing for a whole year), once I have expanded the lawn into the old
allotment and border I would like to plant a cherry tree. But I am not

sure
about what type of tree or the best place to plant it. I want

something
that
will stay pretty small (under 12ft) and will withstand the Scottish

weather.
Any advice on verities to look at or where to plant it?

Cheers,

Daniel

apple trees gone? cherry trees coming? mm Lawns 3 24-12-2006 10:38 PM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
Volunteer cherry trees WP Edible Gardening 0 08-07-2003 06:08 AM
Cherry Trees tippy1 Edible Gardening 5 22-05-2003 04:08 PM
fruits on ornamental cherry trees? Lil Gardening 5 13-05-2003 06:32 AM