Old 19-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Tricia Weston

Default Plum variety?

As a frequent lurker, I have learnt a huge amount from posters here - thanks
to all who take so much trouble.

I wonder if anyone could help me identify a tree which has been at the
bottom of our garden for all of the 20 years we have lived here. It is very
large and apart from a rather feeble white blossom each Spring has never
produced anything. However, this year we were astounded to find masses of
"fruit", slightly larger than cherry tomatoes and the same round shape they
go from green to yellow to red. In the interests of science I gave one to
my husband to taste :-) and when he survived I tried one myself and they
have a delicate, plum-like flavour.

Sorry I'm not able to post a photo anywhere, but wonder if anyone knows what
it might be. Although they are a similar size to damsons, they do not go
dark blue and are much, much sweeter.

Tricia (West of Scotland)

Old 19-07-2003, 11:03 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Tricia Weston" wrote in message
[...]

Could it be a Mirabel or Mirabelle (also known as Cherry Plum)?
I have had problems Googling a picture as most references seem to be for
French towns and Belgian beers :-)

Old 19-07-2003, 11:03 AM
David W.E. Roberts

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/pro...?id=CHPPLU&v=3 ?

Old 19-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Could it be a Mirabel or Mirabelle (also known as Cherry Plum)?
I have had problems Googling a picture as most references seem to be for
French towns and Belgian beers :-)

I know it as Myrobalan. That was my first thought too.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Tricia Weston

Many thanks for all the replies. They look so much like cherries that the
Cherry Plum seems logical. My searching of Google hasn't produced a picture
either, but one of the friends we have insisted try our "magic plums" works
at a local National Trust property and has offered to take some into the
gardeners for tasting and identification. Some of the info on Google seemed
to suggest they weren't self-fertile, so I am wondering if the large amount
of bee activity this year and my neighbour's Victoria plum are responsible
for the sudden large amount of fruit.

Thanks again

Tricia (West of Scotland)

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Old 19-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Tricia Weston
writes
As a frequent lurker, I have learnt a huge amount from posters here - thanks
to all who take so much trouble.

I wonder if anyone could help me identify a tree which has been at the
bottom of our garden for all of the 20 years we have lived here. It is very
large and apart from a rather feeble white blossom each Spring has never
produced anything. However, this year we were astounded to find masses of
"fruit", slightly larger than cherry tomatoes and the same round shape they
go from green to yellow to red. In the interests of science I gave one to
my husband to taste :-) and when he survived I tried one myself and they
have a delicate, plum-like flavour.

Sorry I'm not able to post a photo anywhere, but wonder if anyone knows what
it might be. Although they are a similar size to damsons, they do not go
dark blue and are much, much sweeter.

That will be a cherry-plum, Prunus cerasifera. We have lots of them,
originally planted many years ago as part of the perimeter hedge to our
two acre garden. The fruits grow in the style and in all colours of
cherries, and they taste like plums. They can be used for any of the
purposes of either fruit, including freezing well. Today I have picked
about 30 lbs. of them, yellow, orange and deep red ones, and there are
masses more of them in the trees for birds and other wildlife to enjoy.
I am experimenting with pickling some red ones in red wine vinegar with
honey, cloves and cinnamon as a special treat for the family at Xmas.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 20-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Tricia Weston

This has to be the best surprise our garden has ever given us! Have just
finished making the first lot of jam and the pickling experiment sounds
good - I shall have to try that too and it's nice to know that I can freeze
the surplus. I can't ever recall seeing this fruit in the shops, yet it
seems very tasty and versatile.

Thanks again,

Tricia (West of Scotland)

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Tricia Weston
writes

Old 20-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Tricia Weston

This has to be the best surprise our garden has ever given us! Have just
finished making the first lot of jam and the pickling experiment sounds
good - I shall have to try that too and it's nice to know that I can freeze
the surplus. I can't ever recall seeing this fruit in the shops, yet it
seems very tasty and versatile.

Thanks again,

Tricia (West of Scotland)

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Tricia Weston
writes

Old 20-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Tricia Weston

This has to be the best surprise our garden has ever given us! Have just
finished making the first lot of jam and the pickling experiment sounds
good - I shall have to try that too and it's nice to know that I can freeze
the surplus. I can't ever recall seeing this fruit in the shops, yet it
seems very tasty and versatile.

Thanks again,

Tricia (West of Scotland)

"Alan Gould" wrote in message