Old 21-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Darkginger

Default Alien life form or plant?

A few months ago, I planted some lilac cuttings in a few pots, and not all
of them rooted. Yesterday evening, as I was chucking out those which didn't
make it, I made a strange discovery. At the base of one unsuccessful cutting
is growing what can only be described as 'leaves with eyes'. The thing in
question is about two and a half inches wide, mid-green, growing flat to the
earth - no stem. The 'leaves' feel rubbery, and each of them has two large
pores, like eyes, growing near the leaf edge furthest from the middle. Has
anyone got any idea what this could be? It's intruiging - and I've never
seen anything like it before! If I ever get the batteries for the digicam
charged up, I'll take a pic and post it somewhere, if the above description
isn't enough!

The alien isn't attached to the dead cutting, btw, it's just growing in the
same pot. (Outside, in shade)

Jo

---

Old 21-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Drakanthus

Forget Monty Don - If it suddenly opens up and a crab like creature lands on
your face - then it's time to call in Sigourney Weaver!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 21-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Philippe Gautier

Darkginger wrote:
A few months ago, I planted some lilac cuttings in a few pots, and not all
of them rooted. Yesterday evening, as I was chucking out those which didn't
make it, I made a strange discovery. At the base of one unsuccessful cutting
is growing what can only be described as 'leaves with eyes'. The thing in
question is about two and a half inches wide, mid-green, growing flat to the
earth - no stem. The 'leaves' feel rubbery, and each of them has two large
pores, like eyes, growing near the leaf edge furthest from the middle. Has
anyone got any idea what this could be? It's intruiging - and I've never
seen anything like it before! If I ever get the batteries for the digicam
charged up, I'll take a pic and post it somewhere, if the above description
isn't enough!

Has to be Liverworts: see

http://home.clara.net/adhale/bryos/preissia.htm

Philippe

Old 21-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Darkginger

Philippe Gautier wrote

Darkginger wrote:

snip
At the base of one unsuccessful cutting
is growing what can only be described as 'leaves with eyes'. The thing

in
question is about two and a half inches wide, mid-green, growing flat to

the
earth - no stem. The 'leaves' feel rubbery, and each of them has two

large
pores, like eyes, growing near the leaf edge furthest from the middle

snip

Has to be Liverworts: see

http://home.clara.net/adhale/bryos/preissia.htm

Thanks so much! You're absolutely right, it's a liverwort - and I think it's
wonderful! Has to be one of the strangest plants I've come across - think
I'll leave it alone and see how big it gets!

Thanks again!

Jo (though I sort of wish it had been an alien!)

---