Old 25-07-2003, 12:12 PM
David

Default Tropf Blumat adjustment

I've recently purchased the necessary Tropf Blumat parts to build an
irrigation system. I want to irrigate grow-bags using a single sensor
and three or four distributor drippers. However, I'm finding that the
dripper nearest the sensor is delivering about twice as much water
than the next (and further ones) in line.

Have others had this problem and overcome it? I'm using a resevoir
tank only about 60cm above the grow-bags, but have only a very short
length of 1/4" tube (1m) until the thin bore dripper tubing.

On a related point, can anyone recommend a UK supplier for Blumat
parts other than Two Wests + Elliott .... they have the stock and
excellent service, but for small orders (e.g. connectors and drippers)
the P+P will be more than the order.

Thank you
David
Old 26-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , David
writes
I've recently purchased the necessary Tropf Blumat parts to build an
irrigation system. I want to irrigate grow-bags using a single sensor
and three or four distributor drippers. However, I'm finding that the
dripper nearest the sensor is delivering about twice as much water
than the next (and further ones) in line.

Have others had this problem and overcome it? I'm using a resevoir
tank only about 60cm above the grow-bags, but have only a very short
length of 1/4" tube (1m) until the thin bore dripper tubing.

I've just installed some of this as an alternative to the rather
unsatisfactory standard dripper system for our hanging baskets. So I
don't have the same problem (or the experience)

I think this is inevitable really given the design of the system. I'm
not sure that is actually a problem as such though I would expect the
water levels in the grow bag to even themselves out. THe water from one
dripper should spread through a fairly large area o soil. I suspect that
having the water reservoir so relatively low probably does make the
problem a bit worse.

Only suggestion I can really make is to have the further drippers nearer
together so each one has to water a smaller area of soil.

On a related point, can anyone recommend a UK supplier for Blumat
parts other than Two Wests + Elliott .... they have the stock and
excellent service, but for small orders (e.g. connectors and drippers)
the P+P will be more than the order.

Not much, I did a web search and the only place that sold some of the
stuff was

http://www.growell.co.uk/

Never seen it mentioned in any other UK catalogues.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 18-11-2003, 09:57 AM
PMG PMG is offline
Registered User

Location: London

[quote]Originally posted by David
[b]I've recently purchased the necessary Tropf Blumat parts to build an
irrigation system. I want to irrigate grow-bags using a single sensor
and three or four distributor drippers. However, I'm finding that the
dripper nearest the sensor is delivering about twice as much water
than the next

To even the pressure between the drippers create a loop in the dripper tube by using a 'T' after the sensor. Put the drippers where you want them in the loop, remembering to put one the required distance from the sensor. The inspiration for this, (no reason you should care, but just in case!) is electrical ring mains. Incidentally, using a ring main enables cabling to carry more current than would be the case in a radial installation, so this will assist the Tropf Blumat to deliver water more efficiently too - useful with the low pressure you have.