Old 27-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Nearly Done!

Default Border - security and visibilty

Hello again!

I'd like to plant a border rather than put a fence up on one of my
boundaries. I need it to be quite high (6 foot-ish),thick so you can't
see through it and also needs to be extremely painful to climb
through. The longer the spines the better.

What are the best plants to use?

Cheers!
Old 27-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Drakanthus

I'd like to plant a border rather than put a fence up on one of my
boundaries. I need it to be quite high (6 foot-ish),thick so you can't
see through it and also needs to be extremely painful to climb
through. The longer the spines the better.

What are the best plants to use?

Cheers!

Pyrachanthus, hawthorne, berberris, holly etc.
My personal preference is a mixture of Pyracanthus which is evergreen and
has nice berries with hawthorne.
It is good for birds to nest in too.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 27-07-2003, 03:12 PM
David Hill

If you are going to use Gorse them make sure you get the double form as it
doesn't set seed otherwise you will have seedlings everywhere,

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
If you are going to use Gorse them make sure you get the double form as it
doesn't set seed otherwise you will have seedlings everywhere,

Himalayan Giant blackberries are the thing to send vandals running
home to Mummy if they ever get disentangled: delightfully vicious! But
they too will seed, and you won't have a lot of fun pruning them,
though you'll have the bonus of fruit. Best grown on a wire fence to
keep them in order.

There's a hideous holly called Hedgehog, or Ferox, which has spines in
the middle of the leaves not just round the edges. Not a good looker,
but quite a barrier. I suppose it has berries, but can't remember if
it's male or female or both. (No: just looked it up, and it's
all-male; but there are silver and gold variegated forms, which would
look nice.)

There's a particularly menacing hawthorn, too: I can't remember what
it's called, but David probably can.

Blackthorns are suitably spiny, and provide a brief froth of blossom
in early spring, and sloes in autumn. They tend to have unaccountably
dead branches, though. Great walking-stick material.

Mike.