Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Steve Coyle

Default Nitrate fertilizers and airport security

Howdy folks,
Saw an interesting clip on one of the local news shows. Turns out
the detection systems used at the airport are sensitive enough to
sniff out traces of nitrate fertilizers commonly used on lawns and in
gardens.
You are being advised if you have been around fertilizers to
shower and wear fresh clothes vefore flying. ( I wonder what is the
percentage of travelers who get up the morning of their flight, grab
something out of the dirty laundry bin and blow off a shower )
Travelers who golf are signaling false positives on the chem
detection machines because their golf clubs have picked up nitrates
from the fertilizers on the golf courses. Of course, any false
positive at the airport can mean a long delay while they check you
out.

Take care,
Steve Coyle
Old 05-07-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

And I would be more than glad for the detention if it means I will have a safe
trip. The moron who's running this nation, who said the war was over, a month
ago, who just today said we are still at war (switch and change around reasons a
few times to the tenth power) has also become adept at taunting the maniacs who
will do suicide, murders. His latest idiotic statement, "Bring it on..." has
got to be one of the more idiotic of his many other idiotic statements.

No applause please.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Robbin

Maybe you could explain what your political rant has to do with gardening?
Please take it to austin.general. This group is for gardening related
discussions!

Old 05-07-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

I suppose you didn't see the original post to which I was responding. I have
been posting to this newsgroup for years and have given countless information
and help.

I'd appreciate it if you'd learn how to get over yourself.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:55:29 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

Maybe you could explain what your political rant has to do with gardening?
Please take it to austin.general. This group is for gardening related
discussions!

.. .

Old 05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
My intention on posting the info about the nitrate fertilizers was
not intended to start a political discussion. I assume regardless of
your stance vis a vis the current political situation you don't want
to be delayed at the airport by exposure to nitrates in fertilizers.
It also got me thinking about the potential problems with public
buildings that may be installing machines that check for trace
chemicals at their security entrances. I could imagine a device like
that being installed at our courthouse or federal building and then
picking up false positives whenever they fertilize the lawns outside
the buildings. That would be a headache, I for one would not want to
be rushed off for a security check because of fertilizer on my shoes.

In regards to taking the political speeches to austin.general,
there are many on going threads of that sort there, and a great many
others on austin.general complaining they should take their national
political threads to to the strictly politics usenet groups that were
set up for that purpose.
There is a percentage of folks who think that our current
administration and its supporters are idiots and/or evil. There is
also a percentage who think the liberals who oppose Bush are idiots
and/ or evil. The on going discussion in numerous forums rarely
reaches any level of a political debate, that truly informs, or is
challenging, or that we should be proud of as Americans but quickly
reaches the level of half truths, insults, and free floating
agression, that is convincing me that both sides may be correct in
their beliefs.

I would hope that we could avoid that here ( I doubt it, but hope is
good )
There are numerous situations where gardening and politics intersect
and I hope we could at least keep our focus.

For example, the AmeriCorp program which is being defunded by 80% in
Texas, had numerous volunteers working with children in gardening in
Texas. Those will be lost this year, even though the AmeriCorp program
was promised in the State of the Union speech to be expanded as an
example of commitment to education.
A couple of years ago some of the gardeners in this group who
garden at the Sunshine Gardens worked with the AmeriCorp volunteer of
the year who got an award from Colin Powell for her work with kids at
the Blind School. I hate to see that sort of thing lost, both for the
young people earning tuition money for college and for the younger
kids they work with.
I think the mentor program is important and I was glad to see
AmeriCorp incorporate gardening into their program.

take care, hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

By the way I've been trying to remember the young lady's name who got
the award, she was also featured on the Sun Harvest cereal box in
recognition for her work. I helped her with her 'garden bed' project,
where we used an iron bed frame for a planter and then put in fragrant
and textured plants for the blind students but for the life of me I
can't remember her name. It's hell getting old.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
animaux

My point is, the current administration is among the many liars telling lies.

I am a native New Yorker. I have a big mouth, I'm abrasive and I have definite
beliefs in nature and all its myriad delights.

If being stopped at doors, airplane gates or any other thing imaginable will
help cut down on the rate of terrorism in this and all other countries, I am
more than willing to be detained.

I'd be far more concerned with Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2, than I am
concerned about nitrate on the heels of a golfer.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 PM
dt

animaux wrote:

I'd be far more concerned with Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2, than I am
concerned about nitrate on the heels of a golfer.

Of course, with us "organic gardening" types, you don't need a fancy machine to
know we have fertilizer on our shoes...

DT

Old 06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Robbin

I read the original post and it was totally relevant to gardening. Many
people use fertilizer and very potentially someone (like my mom may
fertilize her plants right before leaving on vacation). I know of your long
posting here Victoria, but that does not give special priviledges regarding
posting of totally off topic information (especially bringing your view of
politics here). If you knew me, you would know that I probably agree with
what you said, but it is not appropriate here.

I'd appreciate it if you answered my question "Maybe you could explain what
your political rant has to do with gardening?" instead of flaming me!

"animaux" wrote in message
news
I suppose you didn't see the original post to which I was responding. I
have
been posting to this newsgroup for years and have given countless

information
and help.

I'd appreciate it if you'd learn how to get over yourself.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:55:29 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

Maybe you could explain what your political rant has to do with

gardening?
Please take it to austin.general. This group is for gardening related
discussions!

.. .

Old 06-07-2003, 05:08 AM
J Kolenovsky

Damn golfers. They could take up gardening, save a lot of money and be
less stressed.

Steve Coyle wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal webpag=
es
Old 06-07-2003, 06:32 PM
animaux

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:01:51 -0500, dt wrote:

animaux wrote:

I'd be far more concerned with Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2, than I am
concerned about nitrate on the heels of a golfer.

Of course, with us "organic gardening" types, you don't need a fancy machine to
know we have fertilizer on our shoes...

DT

Hey, my rug may be growing things in it!

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
animaux

Okay, Robbin. Let's say this is a Usenet newsgroup which is on topic 99% of the
time and it is not up to you to correct me, or anyone else for that matter on
content of, or their reaction to a post.

Indeed the posting of the nitrate information in it's lowest common denominator
is certainly politically driven. To that, I responded. Please, we all have
enough energy to be concerned with what we do in our own lives. Don't try to
tame mine to fit your model.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:57:34 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

I read the original post and it was totally relevant to gardening. Many
people use fertilizer and very potentially someone (like my mom may
fertilize her plants right before leaving on vacation). I know of your long
posting here Victoria, but that does not give special priviledges regarding
posting of totally off topic information (especially bringing your view of
politics here). If you knew me, you would know that I probably agree with
what you said, but it is not appropriate here.

I'd appreciate it if you answered my question "Maybe you could explain what
your political rant has to do with gardening?" instead of flaming me!

"animaux" wrote in message
news
I suppose you didn't see the original post to which I was responding. I

have
been posting to this newsgroup for years and have given countless

information
and help.

I'd appreciate it if you'd learn how to get over yourself.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:55:29 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

Maybe you could explain what your political rant has to do with

gardening?
Please take it to austin.general. This group is for gardening related
discussions!

.. .