Old 03-08-2003, 11:33 AM
aardvark

Default Wisteria

I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on the new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

many thanks, all thoughts appreciaited

Old 03-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

"aardvark" wrote in message
I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on the

new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

many thanks, all thoughts appreciaited

It mostly flowers on the old wood, only occassional flowers on the new, the
reason you are pruning it now is to try and make it form flowering spurs
(like fruiting spurs on an apple tree) they look quite different and should
not be removed (for obvious reasons!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Janet Sanderson

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:04:30 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"aardvark" wrote in message
I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on the

new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

many thanks, all thoughts appreciaited

It mostly flowers on the old wood, only occassional flowers on the new, the
reason you are pruning it now is to try and make it form flowering spurs
(like fruiting spurs on an apple tree) they look quite different and should
not be removed (for obvious reasons!)

Could someonoe spell this out for me please, I have just planted a
wisteria (last Autumn) and inclined to chop it back a bit - well the
long dangly things - just a bit ???

should I do it?
thanks
Janet

Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim W

wrote:

"aardvark" wrote in message
I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on the

new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

many thanks, all thoughts appreciaited

It mostly flowers on the old wood, only occassional flowers on the new, the
reason you are pruning it now is to try and make it form flowering spurs
(like fruiting spurs on an apple tree) they look quite different and should
not be removed (for obvious reasons!)

Could someonoe spell this out for me please, I have just planted a
wisteria (last Autumn) and inclined to chop it back a bit - well the
long dangly things - just a bit ???

should I do it?
thanks
Janet

2 about 6 inches now.. Except the ones you *Really don't want.* Then do
framwork before it breaks bud in say, about feb.. Though if its new you
won;t have to worry about that!-)
//
Jim
Old 04-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
aardvark wrote:
I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on the new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

Normally, on the short (flowering shoots) produced the previous
year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

"aardvark" wrote in message
I'm pruning my wisteria - can anyone tell me, does it only flower on

the
new
wood? I know about cutting back to two buds ...

many thanks, all thoughts appreciaited

It mostly flowers on the old wood, only occassional flowers on the new,

the
reason you are pruning it now is to try and make it form flowering spurs
(like fruiting spurs on an apple tree) they look quite different and

should
not be removed (for obvious reasons!)

Could someonoe spell this out for me please, I have just planted a
wisteria (last Autumn) and inclined to chop it back a bit - well the
long dangly things - just a bit ???

should I do it?

Not now. In the autumn you cut *all* the new growth back to just above the
second bud from its base.

I know there are other pruning regimes, but that simple one kept my wistaria
in a wonderful state for twenty years.

If you prune too early, the plant will make sufficient new growth in the
current season to make it necessary to repeat the process in the autumn.

[Franz Heymann]
thanks
Janet

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM