Old 04-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Eric

Default Cordyline puzzle

A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant (itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

Old 05-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Location: uk leicestershire

just jumping on the bandwagon here.
ive also got a large cordyline...about 8 foot...loads of offshoots that are now about 2 foot tall.
would love to separate a few and grow them on but i havent got a clue......help?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Rod

"Eric" wrote in message ...
A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant (itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

Looks like you have the assembled wisdom of URG on the back foot with this one. I'll be watching with interest.

Rod

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
cross

A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant

(itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I

have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't

know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

It is normal behaviour for a cordaline to branch out once it has flowered,
and I think that it would spoil the effect if you were to cut these off,
but it may be possible to take cuttings......

My cordaline died, (I thought) after a severe winter, so I cut off the top
in the spring. Shortly after, it resprouted 5 new shoots from the base,,
just as I was about to dig out the root.

So if you want more plants, cut it down ;-))

Marina

Old 05-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Jeff Coles

"Eric" wrote in message
A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant (itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

I have no personal experience, but apparently the suckers are detached in
March and April then potted up into 4" pots with JI No.2. Then grow on in
the greenhouse at 10-13C for 12mths before potting on or planting out.

Jeff

Old 06-08-2003, 12:04 AM
fmurl

"Eric" wrote:

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

I'm surprised no-one has jumped in on this one.

My Cordyline was frost damaged last year, but I left it planted anyway.
Suddenly this spring it started growing again, and around the bottom of the
trunk were many of these 'suckers'. I sliced them off close to the trunk -
sorry, I forget where I read this - and now have fourteen new cordylines
all growing happily.

Nothing special. JI No.2 and Sharp Sand, a little water and plenty of sun
in 4" pots.

Looks like the family will be getting Cordylines whether they want them or
not. ;-)

fmurl
Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 AM
JennyC

"Rod" wrote
"Eric" wrote .
A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just

bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant

(itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem,

but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although

I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really

don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer,

perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.
Eric

Looks like you have the assembled wisdom of URG on the back foot

with this one. I'll be watching with interest.
Rod

I hate it when people say me too, but me too :~)
Jenny

Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM
richard smith

"Eric" wrote in message
A cordyline australis in my garden, about 6ft tall, has just bloomed and
below the bloom is a very strong and perfectly formed young plant (itself
about 10ins long) and growing out of the side of the main stem, but not
having any roots, of course.

I would like to separate it to grow on as a new plant and although I have
done a great deal of plant propagation over the years, I really don't know
how to tackle this! Would some kind of layering be the answer, perhaps.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

I was given a cordyline "cutting" taken from a much larger plant,the advice
I was given was "just stick it in a pot/the ground and water well"
this is a gonner I thought but how wrong could I be. The plant has grown 50%
in one season.
If you put it in the garden and not a pot make sure it is where you really
want it as they can be hard to get rid of.

Richard

BEECHES crossword puzzle JK Gardening 2 06-03-2003 01:51 PM
help solve a puzzle |-|erc Ponds 3 05-03-2003 08:54 PM
Monkey puzzle tree sw United Kingdom 7 26-02-2003 07:09 PM
Telegraph : Odd ball letter starts maths puzzle mania Tarzan United Kingdom 3 09-02-2003 09:19 AM
Monkey Puzzle Andrew Babicz United Kingdom 1 28-12-2002 08:41 AM