Old 05-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Pam Morris

Default 2 questions

Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?

TIA

Pam.

Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim W

Pam Morris wrote:

Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?

What would it stick to? The whole point of stainless is that it is?
You could try it though,..;-) Mebbe add some cornflower and try and
'roughen' the surface by distressing it.

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?

Fully not sure, but we have some that are close here in N London.. Not
sure what they are though.
//
Jim
Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Pam Morris" wrote in message
Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless

steel?

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?

TIA

Pam.

Pam, My Hibiscus syriacus survived minus 12 last winter. All doing
well.

Iris McCanna

Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
David Hill

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?
A. no

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?
A Where?

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 05-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:27:17 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?

I have a hibiscus "bluebird" (or similar) which has survived in my
garden in outer Bristol for 6 years or more. This Pam recommends it!

Pam in Bristol

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Paul Kelly

In ,
Pam Morris typed:
Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?

why do you want to age stainlees steel? Surely is is ther becauss it is
stainless ans shiny

pk

Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Pam Morris

"David Hill" wrote in message

snip

2. Are there any Hibiscus that are fully hardy?
A Where?

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I live in North Kent (Medway)

Pam.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Pam Morris

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
In ,
Pam Morris typed:
Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?

why do you want to age stainlees steel? Surely is is ther becauss it is
stainless ans shiny

pk

I'm not too sure I really do want to age it, it's just that the glare from
the sun that bounces of it when I'm laying on the deck means I have to keep
my eyes shut - next thing I know 2 hours have passed... :-)

Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Jim W

Pam Morris wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
In ,
Pam Morris typed:
Two quickies...

1. Will the "age it with milk/yoghurt" trick work on stainless steel?

why do you want to age stainlees steel? Surely is is ther becauss it is
stainless ans shiny

pk

I'm not too sure I really do want to age it, it's just that the glare from
the sun that bounces of it when I'm laying on the deck means I have to keep
my eyes shut - next thing I know 2 hours have passed... :-)

Aaah then the solution is simple.. give it a spray with artists
mounting glue.. Any dust will soon stick to it and reduce glare!

Of course it rather defeats the purpose of getting Stainless in the
first place!! What is the object in question anyway?
//
Jim
Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Pam Morris

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fz9nez.6p3re91bf5seiN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Pam Morris wrote:

why do you want to age stainlees steel? Surely is is ther becauss it is
stainless ans shiny

pk

I'm not too sure I really do want to age it, it's just that the glare

from
the sun that bounces of it when I'm laying on the deck means I have to

keep
my eyes shut - next thing I know 2 hours have passed... :-)

Aaah then the solution is simple.. give it a spray with artists
mounting glue.. Any dust will soon stick to it and reduce glare!

Of course it rather defeats the purpose of getting Stainless in the
first place!! What is the object in question anyway?

//
Jim

The point of the question was plain curiosity (with a bit of flippancy
thrown in out of sheer devillment!). My garden is "under construction" this
year and most of the remodelling comprises wood and gravel. The stainless
steel in question is the drum from my old tumble dryer - and is now the
focal point in a raised island bed in the middle of the lawn.

Apologies if you thought my question was pointless but unless questions are
asked nothing is learned and progress would be non-existant!

Pam.

Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Paul Kelly

Pam Morris wrote:
Apologies if you thought my question was pointless but unless

questions are asked nothing is learned and progress would be
non-existant!

ah .... all is now clear. An item being re (wash) cycled not an expensive
piece of designer stainless steel. I thought maybe Dairmuid had been let
loose and you did not like the result!

pk

Old 06-08-2003, 01:02 PM
David Hill

Wonder.?

If its a perforated drum from a washing machine,
could you cover the outside with the moss you would use for hanging baskets,
wiring it in lace with green plastic covered wire?
Wonder if there would be enough water coming out the side to keep it green?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:44:46 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

The stainless
steel in question is the drum from my old tumble dryer

If you wanted to plant a fig tree, an old washing machine drum ( I
assume tumble dryer drums are the same) is the recommended thing to
sink in the ground to restrain the roots.
You need at least 3 now already!

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Morris
writes
Pam Morris wrote:

[...]

Aha! Now that makes sense!
I suppose you could always paint it blue? ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Pam Morris wrote:

[...]

If you would like it to look like a sandstone container, paint it with one
of those 2-component liquid resins. (The sort of thing used fopr car body
repairs, which you can get at a Halford shop.) Then overpaint it with the
setting agent and quickly sprinkle some dry sand all over the surface and
wait for it to set. The process is irreversible for practical purposes!

[Franz Heymann]