Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2003, 08:13 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default The fig thread returns!

Hi,

couple of things:

(1) Sad and lonely things to do on holiday #297 - looking round Portmeirion
on holiday, wonderful place, see http://www.portmeirion.wales.com/ and
noticed a fig tree in a pot.
Seeing as we have discussed lack of fruiting at length in previous posts I
took a photograph
http://www.chelsworth-lodge.nildram....s/DSC00090.JPG
to show a tall gangling tree in the shade with no figs on.

My conclusion was 'not enough sunlight' as I had seen fig trees growing in
the grounds which had fruit on.

(2) The first crop of fruit on my fig tree has stopped increasing in size
but is not ripening. However the second crop is developing along with the
new growth at the tips of the branches. I have temporarily stopped watering
and feeding the fig in the hope that this will encourage it to ripen the
fruit. Anyone got any ripe figs from an outdoor pot grown Brown Turkey yet
this year?

Cheers
Dave R