Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default mystery plant

"Estee" wrote in message
s.com...
Ok, John has sent some more photos. I think this should crack it!

David John lives in Lincoln
| Attachment filename: mystery6.jpg |
|View attachment:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=257954|

I'll eat my hat if it is not a Datura.

Franz Heymann

Old 07-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Jim W

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message m
from Estee contains these words:

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

You may not send pictures or attachments to this newsgroup.

That is so. However, Estee did not send his attachment to this newsgroup.
He submitted it precisely correctly.
If you had not snipped the context surreptitiouosly, other readers would
have been able to access the picture. As it is, they will now have to turn
back to an earlier post from Estee to get at the URL.

[Franz Heymann]

Janet is correct, technically..
Actually Estee's 'portal', Gardenbanter that is being used to access
this group correctly interpreted that URG is a no binaries group and
posted a link.

Estee would have seen an inserted pic or an'attachment' icon I suspect.
Hence the nature of the post. 'new photo with flowers attached' And the
Attachment filename: plant.jpg

If you send as attachements you can end up with a load of raw code in
txt only groups.. Either way, most people worked it out and viewed the
image.

//
Jim
Old 07-08-2003, 06:54 PM
John

I may have advertently misled some of those who answered my original query. Not being used to metric measurements I may have given the wrong impression of th size of the flowers. In English thses should read length approx 1" width 2/5" and circumfrance 4/5".

I think it is almost cirtainly a Datura as most people have suggested but exactly what.

I have resent the photos for easy reference

Many thanks for all your assistance in trying to identify this plant.
Attached Thumbnails
mystery plant-plant.jpg
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Estee" wrote in message
ws.com...
Ok, John has sent some more photos. I think this should crack it!

David John lives in Lincoln
| Attachment filename: mystery6.jpg |
|View attachment:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=257954|

I'll eat my hat if it is not a Datura.

Datura has been split. Datura is now basically those with sticky-up
flowers, and the dangly flowers have been put into Brugmansia.

It looks almost certainly to be a member of Solanaceae, both from flower
shape and from those fruits. Not sure about Brugmansia, but I don't know
the genus well enough.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Estee" wrote in message
ws.com...
Ok, John has sent some more photos. I think this should crack it!

David John lives in Lincoln
| Attachment filename: mystery6.jpg |
|View attachment:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=257954|

I'll eat my hat if it is not a Datura.

Datura has been split. Datura is now basically those with sticky-up
flowers, and the dangly flowers have been put into Brugmansia.

That must be something moderately recent. Both my Plantfinder and my RHS
Encyclopaedia say that the two names are synonymous. Mind you, both my
books are slightly over a dozen years old.

[snip]

[Franz Heymann]

Old 08-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
in article , David Hill at
wrote on 6/8/03 11:26 pm:

"....... Family: Solanacea
Genus: Datura I didn't want to narrow it down to Genus, so I used

family
instead.. ........"

Well you live and learn.....
Now all that's left is to identify the plant

Looking at Phillips & Rix I'm as sure as is possible that it's

Brugmansia
candida. "An evergreen shrub (a natural hybrid between B. aurea and B.
versicolor) with pendulous fragrant white, rarely yellow or pink
flowers......flowering in summer-autumn. Shrub to 5m. Leaves 30-50cm

long,
alternate, ovate, mostly untoothed, with wavy margins. Flowers to 30cm
long, rather narrowly trumpet-shaped, with recurved lobes and a

spathe-like
calyx."
I'm going to forward this to David Poole.

Please don't forget to tell him that Brugmansia and Datura are

synynymous.

When did that happen? Last thing I knew was that Brugmansia had been
created for the dangly Daturas. Have they been re-joined?

See Plantfinder 1993/4 edition page 694. There it lists Brugmansia as a
reverse synonym for Datura.
See RHS Gardeners' Encyclopedia 1989 edition All the Brugmansia entries
simply refer you to Datura.
As I said in another note, if there are now two separated species, the
revision must have occured after 1994.
Would that people did not make livings out of perpetrating continual
taxonomuic changes.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 08-08-2003, 03:14 AM
David Hill

From all I can find it seems as if it is some form of Iochroma
http://www.mediterraneangardensociet.../Iochroma.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message m
from Estee contains these words:

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

You may not send pictures or attachments to this newsgroup.

That is so. However, Estee did not send his attachment to this newsgroup.
He submitted it precisely correctly.

I disagree. From her language, Estee appears to believe she is sending
pictures and attachments direct to this newsgroup. Her posting source
(gardenbanter) reinforces the impression of her inexperience at usenet,
newsgroups and their protocols.

If you had not snipped the context surreptitiouosly, other readers would
have been able to access the picture. As it is, they will now have to turn
back to an earlier post from Estee to get at the URL.

Sigh. My point was about posting pictures, not plant identification. In
that context, repeating the plant ID url was irrelevant. There was
nothing surreptitious about the omission, it's an example of correct
editing.

As usual, a post from you pontificating about netiquette/post editing
serves only to illustrate the extent of your ignorance.

Janet.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

See Plantfinder 1993/4 edition page 694. There it lists Brugmansia as a
reverse synonym for Datura.
See RHS Gardeners' Encyclopedia 1989 edition All the Brugmansia entries
simply refer you to Datura.
As I said in another note, if there are now two separated species, the
revision must have occured after 1994.

My understanding is that it did

Would that people did not make livings out of perpetrating continual
taxonomuic changes.

Taxonomic changes aren't made just for fun, you know! The point of
taxonomy is to try to encapsulate the evolutionary process, and as our
knowledge of what is most closely related to what increases, the
nomenclature changes to reflect that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

See Plantfinder 1993/4 edition page 694. There it lists Brugmansia as a
reverse synonym for Datura.
See RHS Gardeners' Encyclopedia 1989 edition All the Brugmansia entries
simply refer you to Datura.
As I said in another note, if there are now two separated species, the
revision must have occured after 1994.

My understanding is that it did

Would that people did not make livings out of perpetrating continual
taxonomuic changes.

Taxonomic changes aren't made just for fun, you know! The point of
taxonomy is to try to encapsulate the evolutionary process, and as our
knowledge of what is most closely related to what increases, the
nomenclature changes to reflect that.

The taxonomists and the geneticists I knew used to be at loggerheads for a
fair fraction of the time.

[Franz Heymann]