Old 10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Default mystery plant

"John" wrote in message
news:b380a9ca632834788915c3bda7d09fa6@TeraNews...
Could I ask please, Rusty and Franz just what this discussion has with
the subject heading.

I know I am asking a lot but if you could apply yourselves to answering
my original question that would be rather nice.

If you were to restore the headers and the snipped context, I might have
known what you are complaining about. As it is, I am unfortunately unable
to reply in terms other than these. My guess is that Rusty is in the same
position.

By the way, have you ever heard of the technical term "thread drift" ?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Franz Heymann

--

And you have managed to insert your comment in an incorrect position in the
thread. How did you achieve that feat?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

How interesting. I wish I had not thrown away my book on edible and
inedible fungi. I did it when I realised that I simply did not have the
courage to pick and eat a fungus described in the book and "recognised" by
me. Except for Jew's ear and giant puff balls. It is impossible to mistake
them.

Giant puffballs, yes, but there are things you could confuse with Jew's
ear, though they're unlikely to do you any serious harm.

Beefsteak fungus, Sperassis crispa, blewits/bluelegs/blue stalks and
wood blewits are pretty unmistakeable too. I'd lash out a few quid and
buy 'Mushrooms and other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe' by Roger
Phillips, Pan or Macmillan, ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Whereabouts do you live?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message b380a9ca632834788915c3bda7d09fa6@TeraNews
from John contains these words:

Could I ask please, Rusty and Franz just what this discussion has with
the subject heading.

We're talking about mystery plants, both living and industrial. That do?

I know I am asking a lot but if you could apply yourselves to answering
my original question that would be rather nice.

No, never seen it. No idea what it is, no point in waffling, though my
guess is that the information you've already been given is about as good
as you'll get without sending samples/pictures to somewhere like KEW or
Wisley.

You must remember (if you've been on the net long enough to learn) that
this is Usenet, and threads drift. It is not our *DUTY* to keep our
noses to the grindstone for your exclusive benefit, you know, even if
you did start the thread.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I thought it was established that fungi inhabit a completely separate
phylum.

Then I am, as usual, behind the times.
Thanks for the information.
Is it still thought that the whole fungus is in fact one enormous single
cell?

The whole mycelium and any fruit bodies attached are one (sometimes)
enormous clone.

Never was believed to be a single cell though. The whole clone may cover
acres and weigh a great deal - (allegedly) the world's heaviest living
organism is a clone of honey fungus in IIRC Canada.

How interesting. I wish I had not thrown away my book on edible and
inedible fungi. I did it when I realised that I simply did not have the
courage to pick and eat a fungus described in the book and "recognised" by
me. Except for Jew's ear and giant puff balls. It is impossible to mistake
them.

My own feelings entirely! A friend once found an unexpected flush of
mushrooms in the back garden of a house we rented, and treated himself
to a huge meal of steak and mushrooms. After a while he started
feeling a bit funny in the guts, and finally went to bed very sorry
for himself, leaving a note on the kitchen table saying "I have eaten
'mushrooms' from the garden". Slightly to his surprise he woke the
next morning to find himself entirely alive, and was obliged to
conclude that his symptoms had resulted from a combination of
over-imagination and over-eating.

Some universities, botanical gardens, and county naturalist trusts do
public Fungus Forays in the autumn, though: being shown by an expert
must be the only sensible way to learn.

I received a rowlocking on another ng about a year ago for the
misdemeanour of suggesting that fungi were plants: they certainly
weren't animals or minerals, I reasoned. But I too was out of date: I
checked in a school biology book, and found that, during my
forty-plus-years' absence of mind, life on Earth had indeed very
creatively divided itself into several new categories. But I did know
that they didn't have cells: the adhesive bit of my education had left
me knowing what "vascular" meant.

This enormous clone business: isn't it also true that a hillside
covered with bracken may sometimes actually be covered by a single
plant?

Mike.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Just outside Hawes, high up in Wensleydale.
I did once see a fresh yellow beefsteak fungus on a tree, but I was plain
scared to pick it.

I will order the book.

Friends of mine who were keen collectors used to go foraging with 2
companion books by the same author. "Edible Fungi" and "Inedible Fungi".
They restricted their collecting to specimens which they were sure *were* in
the first volume and *were not* in the second volume. It was they who
taught me to eat giant puffballs.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:

[...]

Could have been one of the two yellow-staining mushrooms which look like
horse mushrooms, but are poisonous to around one person in ten.

Continued eating of them may result in unexpected poisoning and
subsequently a total mushroom allergy.

Some universities, botanical gardens, and county naturalist trusts do
public Fungus Forays in the autumn, though: being shown by an expert
must be the only sensible way to learn.

I received a rowlocking on another ng about a year ago for the
misdemeanour of suggesting that fungi were plants: they certainly
weren't animals or minerals, I reasoned. But I too was out of date: I
checked in a school biology book, and found that, during my
forty-plus-years' absence of mind, life on Earth had indeed very
creatively divided itself into several new categories. But I did know
that they didn't have cells: the adhesive bit of my education had left
me knowing what "vascular" meant.

I think you must mean that their cells do not contain chlorophyll?

This enormous clone business: isn't it also true that a hillside
covered with bracken may sometimes actually be covered by a single
plant?

Yes.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Just outside Hawes, high up in Wensleydale.
I did once see a fresh yellow beefsteak fungus on a tree, but I was plain
scared to pick it.

Ah, too far from me in South Norfolk to offer a fungus foray in Thetford
Forest then.

I will order the book.

You will not be disappointed. It gives you some sure (chemical) methods
of identifying some fungi.

Friends of mine who were keen collectors used to go foraging with 2
companion books by the same author. "Edible Fungi" and "Inedible Fungi".
They restricted their collecting to specimens which they were sure *were* in
the first volume and *were not* in the second volume. It was they who
taught me to eat giant puffballs.

I've got loads of books on mycology. Got to put up some bookshelves
before I can unpack them all.

Michael Jordan wrote a good guide, as did Pilat and Usak. (Can't
remember where tha accents go!)