Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Default mystery plant

(on behalf of John)

I attach a photograph of a plant which arrived in my garden three or four years ago. This year it has flowered profusely but I have been unable to identify it. Can you help?
Attached Thumbnails
mystery plant-plant.jpg
Old 06-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Spider

Morning Estee,

It is hard to be sure from the picture as there is quite a lot of glare.

Going on the form of the shrub and its leaf, I would hazard a guess at Nerium Oleander .. commonly referred to as simply Oleander. It would help to know what the flowers were like.
I've never heard of Oleander seeding, as yours seems to have done; perhaps someone else has discovered this. IF it is Oleander, you should be aware that all parts are poisonous. It is also less than hardy in a cold climate.

This may have some bearing on its identification since yours must have survived 3 winters.

Hoping for flower description ...
Regards.
Spider
Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
David Hill

Still unable to open the picture of your mystery plant
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=257564|

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

I have also received a message from Karen (thankyou) who says:

I think the plant is called Acnistus something. I grew some from seed a few years ago pobtained from the Thompson and Morgan catalogue. It comes in a pale mauve and white like yours. Not supposed to be too hardy but mine has survived outside in Suffolk in free draining sandy soil and full sun for several years now. I believe it is an Australian ?
Attached Thumbnails
mystery plant-plant2.jpg
Old 06-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Forget to mention a better description:

The flowers hang down from a stalk about 20 cm long and are in the form of a tube 30 cm long by 7 cm and open out into 5 petals.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim W

Estee wrote:

(on behalf of John)

I attach a photograph of a plant

Hmmm only if you're browsing via gardenbanter's portal. URG proper
doesn't take binaries.

Its aeither something in the Solanaceae family or a tubular flowered
buddliea. More likley the former IMO. Just an educated guess though.

Someone will know.
//

Old 06-08-2003, 05:02 PM
David Hill

Don't think its anything in the Solanaceae family or Buddleia, flowers make
me think of a very small Datura/Brugmansia but I don't think there is one,
and it should not be hardy, though that depends where you are.
When does it flower? and any chance of a closer shot of the flowers.
Finally if it sets seed, what sort of seed pod, and any chance of a few?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
Don't think its anything in the Solanaceae family or Buddleia, flowers make
me think of a very small Datura/Brugmansia

30cm long is reasonable for a Brugmansia, but 7cm wide is a bit narrow.
And the scale of the plant is huge if that's the size of the flowers!

but I don't think there is one,
and it should not be hardy, though that depends where you are.
When does it flower? and any chance of a closer shot of the flowers.
Finally if it sets seed, what sort of seed pod, and any chance of a few?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Ok, John has sent some more photos. I think this should crack it!

David John lives in Lincoln
Attached Thumbnails
mystery plant-mystery6.jpg
Old 06-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Jim W

David Hill wrote:

Don't think its anything in the Solanaceae family or Buddleia, flowers make
me think of a very small Datura/Brugmansia but I don't think there is one,
and it should not be hardy, though that depends where you are.
When does it flower? and any chance of a closer shot of the flowers.
Finally if it sets seed, what sort of seed pod, and any chance of a few?

I think you'll find Datura is in the Family Solanaceae. unless its been
moved.. From what I remember plants in this family are known for
producing alkaloids (well quite a few of them anyway) and tend to have
trumpet shaped flowers. Inludes the common spud and our own Deadly
Nightshade, not to mention a whole host of cultivated ornamentals.

Family: Solanacea
Genus: Datura I didn't want to narrow it down to Genus, so I used
family instead.. As you say.. the flowers 'look' like Datura. Hence.
Blah blah!

http://brugmansias.com/b/Solanaceae/Datura/

OK for Buddlija (however you spell it!) I used Genus.. but there you go!

I know its hot etc..;-) Whatever it is,.... it could be;-)))))
//
Jim

Old 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
David Hill

"....... Family: Solanacea
Genus: Datura I didn't want to narrow it down to Genus, so I used family
instead.. ........"

Well you live and learn.....
Now all that's left is to identify the plant

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from Estee contains these words:

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

You may not send pictures or attachments to this newsgroup.

Janet.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message m
from Estee contains these words:

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

You may not send pictures or attachments to this newsgroup.

I think what he means is that he's provided a URL...

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fz9npd.1fu89jxvbyiheN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Estee wrote:

Its aeither something in the Solanaceae family or a tubular flowered

buddliea. More likley the former IMO. Just an educated guess though.

Someone will know.
//

which arrived in my garden three orfour years ago. This year it has
flowered profusely but I have beenunable to identify it. Can you help?

Dipelta yunnanensis looks like it but normally flowers earlier, one of the
campanula family also makes a sub shrub, A close up posted in the same place
as above would help
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message m
from Estee contains these words:

Ok - new photo with flowers attached.

You may not send pictures or attachments to this newsgroup.

That is so. However, Estee did not send his attachment to this newsgroup.
He submitted it precisely correctly.
If you had not snipped the context surreptitiouosly, other readers would
have been able to access the picture. As it is, they will now have to turn
back to an earlier post from Estee to get at the URL.

[Franz Heymann]