Old 07-08-2003, 03:06 AM
anne

Default Re Roundup

Does Roundup watered over all area kill tress aswell, ie... the Roundup will
only be "hitting" the base of the tree trunks. I've follwed the recent
thread re this and I've decided to still use it, but wondered about trees?
Because I won't be hitting the leaves as it were. New allotment is the
situation.

Thanks all - response or otherwise.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Does Roundup watered over all area kill tress aswell, ie... the Roundup will
only be "hitting" the base of the tree trunks. I've follwed the recent
thread re this and I've decided to still use it, but wondered about trees?
Because I won't be hitting the leaves as it were. New allotment is the
situation.

Thanks all - response or otherwise.

Needs green stuff to be effective. Often used at the base of trees to
keep a circle of weeds down whilst tree is young. IMHO, no problem just
be careful with it.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 07-08-2003, 02:42 PM
anne

Christopher Norton wrote in message
The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Does Roundup watered over all area kill tress aswell, ie... the Roundup

will
only be "hitting" the base of the tree trunks. I've follwed the recent
thread re this and I've decided to still use it, but wondered about

trees?
Because I won't be hitting the leaves as it were. New allotment is the
situation.

Thanks all - response or otherwise.

Needs green stuff to be effective. Often used at the base of trees to
keep a circle of weeds down whilst tree is young. IMHO, no problem just
be careful with it.

OK thanks, that's great. I wonder why people plant "non fruit trees" in
allotments. They create shade, take up a lot of space and you can't plant
anything near them because of the roots. All allotments around here seem to
have one huge tree at least and always in the most inconvenient place it
seems.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

Old 07-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:33:05 +0100, "anne"
wrote:

I wonder why people plant "non fruit trees" in
allotments. They create shade, take up a lot of space and you can't plant
anything near them because of the roots. All allotments around here seem to
have one huge tree at least and always in the most inconvenient place it
seems.

Our allotments don't allow trees.

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Dave

Pam Moore writes
wrote:

I wonder why people plant "non fruit trees" in
allotments. They create shade, take up a lot of space and you can't plant
anything near them because of the roots. All allotments around here seem to
have one huge tree at least and always in the most inconvenient place it
seems.

Our allotments don't allow trees.

Perhaps their trees have allowed allotments round them?

If they are mature they probably predate the allotment scheme by some
years. Maybe some council chap decided this was a good place to put the
allotments as they could keep the trees and still meet their
obligations.
--
David
Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM

~Pam Moore writes
~wrote:
~
~I wonder why people plant "non fruit trees" in
~allotments. They create shade, take up a lot of space and you can't plant
~anything near them because of the roots. All allotments around here seem to
~have one huge tree at least and always in the most inconvenient place it
~seems.
~
~Our allotments don't allow trees.
~
~Perhaps their trees have allowed allotments round them?
~
~If they are mature they probably predate the allotment scheme by some
~years. Maybe some council chap decided this was a good place to put the
~allotments as they could keep the trees and still meet their
~obligations.

Some lotties don't even allow fruit trees. Glad ours do. I inherited
five apples when I got my lottie of which one was useless and the
other four decrepit but wonderful, including my giant Bramley. This
time of year is fantastic as it's blackberry time and together with
windfalls make B&A crumbles... my favourite!

Biennial bearing though (boo) and this year's the off year. Just as
well, given the lack of water!

The only thing they shade is the access road and that's hardly a
problem.

--
jane

Mark Twain