Old 08-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Which fruit trees from cuttings please?

Hi,

Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?

Could plum be grown?

Rajinder

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:01:52 +0100, Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt
wrote:

Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?

Quince.

Could plum be grown?

Dunno.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?

Could plum be grown?

Rajinder

Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
what you expect or want.

If you really want to propogate a favourite tree then you would need a
suitable rootstock to graft onto.

HTH
Dave R

Old 08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
what you expect or want.

If you really want to propogate a favourite tree then you would need a
suitable rootstock to graft onto.

HTH
Dave R

Having just said that something has occured to me.
From time to time I remove shoots from various parts of the garden which are
coming from the roots of fruit trees.

So....

If I dig up some of these 'suckers' and grow them on I should have the
rootstock of the tree.

I should then be able to graft from the tree onto the rootstock.

I could even graft onto the rootstock whilst it was still attached to the
parent tree if it came up in a suitable spot.

Sounds almost too easy (apart from the grafting).

Comments?
Dave R

Old 08-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Rod

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
what you expect or want.

If you really want to propogate a favourite tree then you would need a
suitable rootstock to graft onto.

HTH
Dave R

Having just said that something has occured to me.
From time to time I remove shoots from various parts of the garden which are
coming from the roots of fruit trees.

So....

If I dig up some of these 'suckers' and grow them on I should have the
rootstock of the tree.

I should then be able to graft from the tree onto the rootstock.

I could even graft onto the rootstock whilst it was still attached to the
parent tree if it came up in a suitable spot.

Sounds almost too easy (apart from the grafting).

Comments?
Dave R

It is as easy as that and your new fruit trees will also send you up a whole new load of rootstocks to play with. The
Plum and Cherry families are particularly adept at this. A lot of the old rootstocks were chosen for the purpose because
they're easy to propagate - sucker all over the place. For anybody that fancies trying, budding isn't at all difficult -
you could probably learn it from a paper description - probably on the www somewhere? but it is a lot easier if a
skilled budder can each you the basics. The mostbasic and important is the knife has to be *sharp* - if it won't easily
and comfortably shave the hairs off your arm it isn't sharp enough.

Rod

Old 09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

I could even graft onto the rootstock whilst it was still attached to the
parent tree if it came up in a suitable spot.

True.

Sounds almost too easy (apart from the grafting).

Budding is easier, though you lose a year's growth.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
what you expect or want.

If you really want to propogate a favourite tree then you would need a
suitable rootstock to graft onto.

I think that Bramleys grow on their own rootstock.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?

Could plum be grown?

Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
what you expect or want.

A cutting would be genetically identical to the fruit tree (provided you
took the cutting from above the graft), but what you would lose is the
effect on growth of the rootstock. Apples, for example, are usually
grown on dwarfing rootstocks, so if you got an apple cutting to grow,
you'd end up with the same variety of apple, but on a much larger tree.

That said, I don't know how easy it is to get cuttings of fruit trees to
strike.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Michael Berridge

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote in message ...
Hi,

Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?

Could plum be grown?

Probably most of them can, but modern fruit trees are grafted onto
rootstocks that mean they will fruit earlier than if not grafted. You
may well find that you finish up with a tree that takes several years to
reach its flowering size, and also gets very big.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

I have done some grafting and bud grafting.

Rajinder

"Rod" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not

produce
what you expect or want.

If you really want to propogate a favourite tree then you would need a
suitable rootstock to graft onto.

HTH
Dave R

Having just said that something has occured to me.
From time to time I remove shoots from various parts of the garden which

are

Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

That said, I don't know how easy it is to get cuttings of fruit trees to
strike.

Stick them in the ground and they grow. I've never had any trouble.
Except with rhubarb stalks.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 PM
J Jackson

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

: "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi,
:
: Which fruit trees could be grown from cuttings please?
:
: Could plum be grown?
:
: Rajinder
:
:
: Virtually all domestic fruit trees are grafted onto a wild root stock.

not wild - very selected and bred root stock. There are rootstocks to grow
multifarious sizes of final tree - mostly the dwarfing ones are used
because people don't have gardens big enough for a lot of fruit trees
growing on their own roots. Indeed some advocate advantages to growing
fruit trees on their own roots see

http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/own_root.shtml

This of course implies you can propagate the trees. Not sure how they do
it, cuttings, layering, planting a budded/grafted tree low down so that
the graft if below soil level (maybe scoringround the graft) to encourage
root production from the scion? Once you have an own root tree, the most
productive production method would be stooling - cut back low down and
heap soil round the stump. New shoots will grow up thro' the soil and
hopefully produce roots - they can later be severed and tranplanted. I
believe that most root stocks for apples are reproduced this way.

: So growing cutting from a favourite fruit tree will probably not produce
: what you expect or want.

It will grow exactly the same variety (as long as it's not a cutting of
the root stock). My experiences with attempting fruit tree cuttings were
all failures. I understand there are certain apple varieties known for
being able to easily strike cuttings.

My attempts to make cuttings of plum, damson and blackthorn strike have
all failed (could be me of course, though I've succeeded with others), but
the CherryPlum (Myrobalam) strikes easily.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 PM
J Jackson

Rusty Hinge wrote:

: I think that Bramleys grow on their own rootstock.

Most bramleys in gardens (here in the uk) are grown on dwarfing root
stocks. The bramley is a very vigorous variety, and would make a large
tree on its own roots.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 PM
J Jackson

Rusty Hinge wrote:
: The message
: from Kay Easton contains these words:

: That said, I don't know how easy it is to get cuttings of fruit trees to
: strike.

: Stick them in the ground and they grow. I've never had any trouble.
: Except with rhubarb stalks.

That's at variance with my experience. Which varieties have you grown?