Old 20-01-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soft fruit cuttings help please

The smallholder site, states that you can take cuttings from raspberry,
redcurrant, blackcurrant and gooseberry and plant in a trench. Does anyone
know when is the best time of year for south coast. TIA.
http://www.thesmallholder.co.uk/index.htm

Old 20-01-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

The smallholder site, states that you can take cuttings from raspberry,
redcurrant, blackcurrant and gooseberry and plant in a trench. Does anyone
know when is the best time of year for south coast. TIA.
http://www.thesmallholder.co.uk/index.htm

I wouldn't think raspberries were either possible, or worth doing. I've
come across similar claims, but it's much better to take the underground
runners and plant those. Keep them moist and they never fail.

Otherwise, the others are just about foolproof.

Just take a cutting and poke it in somewhere - just try to stop it rooting.

Some of them are alleged to take better from half-ripened green wood -
jostaberry/worcesterberry, but I've found that any cutting of currants,
gooseberries or allied species/varieties will take in moist soil.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-01-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Rusty, there's no shortage of material, as it's the allotment next
door. I assume early Spring, a few weeks after the parent plants are growing
strongly.

She's also offered loganberry, that has spread about 12 feet along wires.
Can't say I've tasted these before, so fingers crossed for a reasonable
summer.

Old 20-01-2009, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty, there's no shortage of material, as it's the allotment next
door. I assume early Spring, a few weeks after the parent plants are
growing
strongly.

Do it now! Best time is autumn.

She's also offered loganberry, that has spread about 12 feet along wires.
Can't say I've tasted these before, so fingers crossed for a reasonable
summer.

Ah, they propagate by the tip of the cane rooting, as per bramble. If
any of last years canes are touching the ground, especially at the ends,
but sometimes at a side-shoot, you may find rooted bits.

Cuttings don't take, IME.

If none, ask if you can peg down the end of a cane when it has nearly
stopped growing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-01-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Bertie Doe"

contains these words:

Do it now! Best time is autumn.

She's also offered loganberry, that has spread about 12 feet along wires.
Can't say I've tasted these before, so fingers crossed for a reasonable
summer.

Ah, they propagate by the tip of the cane rooting, as per bramble. If
any of last years canes are touching the ground, especially at the ends,
but sometimes at a side-shoot, you may find rooted bits.

Cuttings don't take, IME.

If none, ask if you can peg down the end of a cane when it has nearly
stopped growing.

Thanks Rusty, I'll make a start ASAP.

Old 29-01-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty, there's no shortage of material, as it's the allotment next
door. I assume early Spring, a few weeks after the parent plants are
growing
strongly.

Do it now! Best time is autumn.

She's also offered loganberry, that has spread about 12 feet along wires.
Can't say I've tasted these before, so fingers crossed for a reasonable
summer.

Ah, they propagate by the tip of the cane rooting, as per bramble. If
any of last years canes are touching the ground, especially at the ends,
but sometimes at a side-shoot, you may find rooted bits.

Cuttings don't take, IME.

If none, ask if you can peg down the end of a cane when it has nearly
stopped growing.

I popped into one of those warehouse DIY places yesterday, for some plumbing
bits. I had a nose in the gardening section and spotted about 100 raspberry
"plants". Each plant (£6) consisted of a soft poly pot (about 3 litres of
soil) with EXACTLY 10 stems on each plant. Each stem approx 200mm.

Question : Is this one plant or 10 canes? If it's 10 canes then this is good
value at 60p per cane. If it's a plant, then it's expensive. I couldn't
detect any movement from the stems, which might suggest its a single plant -
unless the stems/canes were cut last year, popped into a poly pot of soil,
canes rooted to form a plant. In which case, they can be untangled.

Too long a Q at the gardening check-out, so couldn't enquire. The varieties
FWIW : Malling General Leo, Malling Jewel, Glen Prosen and Glen Clova.

Bertie

Old 30-01-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

I popped into one of those warehouse DIY places yesterday, for some
plumbing bits. I had a nose in the gardening section and spotted about
100 raspberry "plants". Each plant (£6) consisted of a soft poly pot
(about 3 litres of soil) with EXACTLY 10 stems on each plant. Each
stem approx 200mm.

Question : Is this one plant or 10 canes? If it's 10 canes then this
is good value at 60p per cane. If it's a plant, then it's expensive. I
couldn't detect any movement from the stems, which might suggest its a
single plant - unless the stems/canes were cut last year, popped into
a poly pot of soil, canes rooted to form a plant. In which case, they
can be untangled.

I'd bet safe money that they would be 10 rooted canes. The cost and your
description says so.
Also, its fairly standard practice to sell raspberry plants in GCs in
bunches of say, 5 or 10 canes.
Last year I bought a total of 30 canes from 4 different garden centres
and nurseries and they all retailed bunches tied this way.

pp.

Old 30-01-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bertie Doe wrote:

Too long a Q at the gardening check-out, so couldn't enquire. The varieties
FWIW : Malling General Leo, Malling Jewel, Glen Prosen and Glen Clova.

In my experience Leo is one of the best tasting commercial rasperries, but
I've found it susceptible to disease. Malling Jewel is a good cropper, but
fruit taste is a bit bland. I've not (knowingly) tasted the 2 glens
mentioned.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks you are right. I bought the four plants, slit open one of the
containers and they are indeed bunches of rooted canes. I assume plant 2
feet apart?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from (Jim Jackson) contains these words:
Bertie Doe wrote:

Too long a Q at the gardening check-out, so couldn't enquire. The
varieties
FWIW : Malling General Leo, Malling Jewel, Glen Prosen and Glen Clova.

In my experience Leo is one of the best tasting commercial rasperries,
but
I've found it susceptible to disease. Malling Jewel is a good cropper,
but
fruit taste is a bit bland. I've not (knowingly) tasted the 2 glens
mentioned.

Glen Clova is a good flavoursome raspberry and freezes well. Usually
summer-fruiting, but can be fooled into autumn-fruiting by cutting them
down at the requisite time. (Allegedly)

Thanks guys, I bought the above yesterday. It's one of those stores 'once
it's gone, it's gone' ditto their seed pots, onion sets etc and at 60p per
cane, I couldn't afford to miss out. I've googled these varieties and they
are all floricanes, cropping on last seasons wood. So won't be expecting too
much this year. Will have to do some 'horse trading' with next door, her
gooseberries and raspberries for my rhubarb. She combined these 3 with some
ginger, for an awesome jam.

My next day off is Wednesday, but this frosty spell looks set, would it pay
me to delay planting?

My allotment is exposed and slopes steeply East/West. Googled advice
suggests growing South or West. I'm mulling over the idea of growing them up
the slope, rather than across, any thoughts?

Sources:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/docume...y2007Index.pdf
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bzg7pn

Bertie

Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

My next day off is Wednesday, but this frosty spell looks set, would it pay
me to delay planting?

I would delay. Just keep the roots moist, but not dripping.

My allotment is exposed and slopes steeply East/West. Googled advice
suggests growing South or West. I'm mulling over the idea of growing
them up
the slope, rather than across, any thoughts?

Ideally, you'd plant the canes North-South, but it really doesn't matter
that much, as raspberries will tolerate quite a lot of shade.

Remember to net summer-fruiting raspberries, or the blackbirds will have
the lot. For some reason, autumn-fruiting ones don't seem to register as
'food' to them.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

My next day off is Wednesday, but this frosty spell looks set, would it
pay
me to delay planting?

I would delay. Just keep the roots moist, but not dripping.

Thanks, yes I think I'll wait. No snow yet, but the grounds very icy. My
boss who lives just north of you has 15cm and has just taken delivery of
some ex-battery hens - I bet their featherless and feeling the cold.

My allotment is exposed and slopes steeply East/West. Googled advice
suggests growing South or West. I'm mulling over the idea of growing
them up
the slope, rather than across, any thoughts?

Ideally, you'd plant the canes North-South, but it really doesn't matter
that much, as raspberries will tolerate quite a lot of shade.

For support can I use some of my surplus 9' bamboos horizonalwize - rather
than wires?

Remember to net summer-fruiting raspberries, or the blackbirds will have
the lot. For some reason, autumn-fruiting ones don't seem to register as
'food' to them.

I saw reference on the net to aphid pests. My brainwave was to put nuts out
to attract the birds. Problem is, they may be more partial raspberries and
peanuts.
I must have tempted providence - it's started to snow -

Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

/prune/

For support can I use some of my surplus 9' bamboos horizonalwize - rather
than wires?

I've never supported raspberries.

Remember to net summer-fruiting raspberries, or the blackbirds will have
the lot. For some reason, autumn-fruiting ones don't seem to register as
'food' to them.

I saw reference on the net to aphid pests. My brainwave was to put nuts out
to attract the birds. Problem is, they may be more partial raspberries and
peanuts.

Birds that eat aphids and/or peanuts won't bother with raspberries,
though the aphid-eating ones might dismember them if they get to know
that they may harbour maggots...

It's the blackbirds you have to contend with.

I must have tempted providence - it's started to snow -

Providence (irritably): "Sky God! Push some clouds over there - and pull
the snow-release lever! Immediately!"

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message

/prune/

For support can I use some of my surplus 9' bamboos horizonalwize -
rather
than wires?

I've never supported raspberries.

We're at 450' on a very exposed hillside, strong gales etc. Mind you, the
RHS wibble, didn't seem to have supported rasps.

Remember to net summer-fruiting raspberries, or the blackbirds will
have
the lot. For some reason, autumn-fruiting ones don't seem to register
as
'food' to them.

I believe fleece can be used, cheaper than netting, but may only last a
season.

Soft fruit in acid soil Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 11-03-2005 09:31 AM
Moving Soft Fruit vsop United Kingdom 2 30-08-2004 05:39 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 32 23-07-2003 02:34 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 24 25-06-2003 08:20 PM
Soft fruit against a north dacing wall? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 08:12 AM