Old 11-08-2003, 05:42 PM
John Edgar

Default Small green weed

We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves. The
thing is, nothing kills this stuff. I have tried weedol and path clear
and it just shrugs them off. Does anyone know what this could be and
how to deal with it? It's not a big thing, but very annoying.

Any help most welcome. Thanks
In limine sapientiae
Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , John Edgar
writes
We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves.

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves.

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

I wish I had some. It is a wonderful plant to have growing in crevices in a
damp, shady place. But If my memory serves me right, which it usually
fails to do, it is not quite hardy high up in the Yorkshire Dales.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 11-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes

Old 12-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Jim Paterson

"John Edgar" wrote in message
We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves. The
thing is, nothing kills this stuff. I have tried weedol and path clear
and it just shrugs them off. Does anyone know what this could be and
how to deal with it? It's not a big thing, but very annoying.

Any help most welcome. Thanks
In limine sapientiae

What you have is Helxine and it does tend to colonise where happy. If you
have a flame gun or one of these weed wands you can destroy it without the
use of weedkiller, clean and effective.
It is actually a useful little plant in the right place.
HTH Jim

Old 12-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves.

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

that's the one! Used to be Helxine, but genus name has changed to
Soleirolia

I wish I had some. It is a wonderful plant to have growing in crevices in a
damp, shady place. But If my memory serves me right, which it usually
fails to do, it is not quite hardy high up in the Yorkshire Dales.

Whereabouts are you? We're at 400ft, and here it gets brown patches from
frost during the winter, but grows back green in the summer. You might
find it worth a try. I can post you some if you want a try.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-08-2003, 01:28 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

Isn't that 'Mother of thousands'?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

Isn't that 'Mother of thousands'?

What do you mean by 'mother of thousands' - if you mean that plant that
has round leaves and little plantlets on the ends of runners, then no.
Helxine is a tiny leaved creeping plant, rather like Mentha requieni
without the blue flowers and the scent.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
We have a block driveway, and as well as moss, there is also a small
green weed that grows in the interstices between the bricks. It has
been called "mind your own business" but I don't know whether this is
correct. It looks like pondweed - very small dark green leaves.

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

that's the one! Used to be Helxine, but genus name has changed to
Soleirolia

As usual, I am bhnd the times.

I wish I had some. It is a wonderful plant to have growing in crevices

in a
damp, shady place. But If my memory serves me right, which it usually
fails to do, it is not quite hardy high up in the Yorkshire Dales.

Whereabouts are you? We're at 400ft, and here it gets brown patches from
frost during the winter, but grows back green in the summer. You might
find it worth a try. I can post you some if you want a try.

You have unfortunately let yourself in for something.
F.F. Heymann, Sunnybank, Gayle, Hawes, North Yorks., DL8 3RS

Thank you in anticipation.
I propose to overwinter a piece of it each year in a cold frame, to keep the
strain going.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

That sounds like 'mind your own business' - Soleriola soleriella or
something like that.

Helxine soleirolli?

Isn't that 'Mother of thousands'?

My book says that that name is associated with two totally unrelated plants,
Saxifraga stolonifera and Solierolia.
So much for common names.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
John Edgar

What you have is Helxine and it does tend to colonise where happy. If you
have a flame gun or one of these weed wands you can destroy it without the
use of weedkiller, clean and effective.
It is actually a useful little plant in the right place.
HTH Jim

Many thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately for it (the plant) I do
not want it where it is, so it will have to go. Maybe we'll dig a bit
up and grow it somewhere else, but it definitely must go from from my
tidy, weed-free driveway.
In limine sapientiae