Old 14-08-2003, 08:38 PM
~Barbra~

Default Hydrangea

I've had a Hydrangea bush for a good few years, and there have always been
loads of flowers on it.
This year, however, there are none!
Loads of leaves, but no flowers.
Any ideas please?

Thanks

Barbra

Old 15-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Aphodius

"~Barbra~" wrote:
I've had a Hydrangea bush for a good few years, and there have always been
loads of flowers on it.
This year, however, there are none!
Loads of leaves, but no flowers.
Any ideas please?

------
Did you cut back your hydrangea last autumn or early this spring? If so,
you might just have been too thorough and cut away all this years flowering
buds.

Aphodius

Old 15-08-2003, 06:22 PM
~Barbra~

Yes, I always cut the bush back in the autumn. So, if I cut it back this
autumn, but not so harshly will the flowers come back next year?

Barbra

Old 15-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"~Barbra~" wrote in message
news
Yes, I always cut the bush back in the autumn. So, if I cut it back this
autumn, but not so harshly will the flowers come back next year?

A better plan is to cut off completely the oldest half of the bush every
year. It takes two seasons to get into this routine.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:20:21 GMT, "~Barbra~"
wrote:

Yes, I always cut the bush back in the autumn. So, if I cut it back this
autumn, but not so harshly will the flowers come back next year?

Barbra

Hydrangeas flower on mature stems, so aim to prune out between a third
and a half of the number of stems each year, so that there's always a
mix of old and new growth.

--
Chris

Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Aphodius

"~Barbra~" wrote:
Yes, I always cut the bush back in the autumn. So, if I cut it back this
autumn, but not so harshly will the flowers come back next year?

Barbra
---

Hi Barbra,

There is an excellent article by Russell Balge on Pruning Hydrangeas with
all you need to know on the subject. Find it on:
http://www.agnr.umk.edu/users/cmrec/art4.htm

Hope that helps,
Aphodius

Old 17-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Pickle

"Aphodius" wrote in message

"~Barbra~" wrote:
Yes, I always cut the bush back in the autumn. So, if I cut it back this
autumn, but not so harshly will the flowers come back next year?

Barbra
---

Hi Barbra,

There is an excellent article by Russell Balge on Pruning Hydrangeas with
all you need to know on the subject. Find it on:
http://www.agnr.umk.edu/users/cmrec/art4.htm

Hope that helps,
Aphodius

Can't get that link to work!

Old 18-08-2003, 03:59 PM
~Barbra~

Thanks anyway. Of course I could quite easily done a search myself, which is
what I did to find the article .
I have decided to leave pruning this year and hope the flowers come back
next year.

Barbra

"Aphodius" wrote in message

"Pickle" wrote:

Can't get the link to work!
---

Sorry, neither could I. After reading your reply, I found it using
Google. What you're looking for is: 'Pruning Hydrangeas' by Russell Balge,
Western Maryland Research and Education Center, University of Maryland.
I originally printed the article from a Univ. of Maryland Web site last
Autumn.

Aphodius

Old 18-08-2003, 04:09 PM
~Barbra~

Thanks anyway. Of course I could quite easily done a search myself, which is
what I did to find the article .
I have decided to leave pruning this year and hope the flowers come back
next year.

Barbra

"Aphodius" wrote in message

"Pickle" wrote:

Can't get the link to work!
---

Sorry, neither could I. After reading your reply, I found it using
Google. What you're looking for is: 'Pruning Hydrangeas' by Russell Balge,
Western Maryland Research and Education Center, University of Maryland.
I originally printed the article from a Univ. of Maryland Web site last
Autumn.

Aphodius

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM