Old 29-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Mike Lyle

Default moving a 15foot high weeping willow

"Earnest Trawler" wrote in message ...
[...]
If this one breaks the drain then it will have to go too. A bill to fix the
drain would be annoying but not a disaster, so it is a risk I am willing to
take, the drain would go long before the roots got to the house foundations.

[...]

I'd love to hear from a structural engineer or similar authority on
this question of tree-roots and house foundations. I imagine, quite
likely wrongly, that modern concrete footings must be too tough a nut
for the roots actually to damage. But would a really vigorous root
system, in time, alter the subsoil conditions so that prolonged
passages of extreme weather (or over-extraction from the water-table)
could result in subsidence even with modern building practices?

On the other hand, old country houses in some places may hardly have
foundations at all: I had a Welsh farmhouse which seemed to be
balanced on no more than a few strategically-placed big stones on
boulder clay. It was remarkably sound; but I could easily guess at the
damage a good weeping willow might have done.

Drains are a different story, of course.

Mike.
Old 29-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:

I'd love to hear from a structural engineer or similar authority on
this question of tree-roots and house foundations. I imagine, quite
likely wrongly, that modern concrete footings must be too tough a nut
for the roots actually to damage. But would a really vigorous root
system, in time, alter the subsoil conditions so that prolonged
passages of extreme weather (or over-extraction from the water-table)
could result in subsidence even with modern building practices?

Don't you believe it. The roots grow and in effect, use hydraulic power
to do so. Have you never seen a mushroom pushing up through a tarmac
pavement? They will even lift paving stones.

On the other hand, old country houses in some places may hardly have
foundations at all: I had a Welsh farmhouse which seemed to be
balanced on no more than a few strategically-placed big stones on
boulder clay. It was remarkably sound; but I could easily guess at the
damage a good weeping willow might have done.

My parents' house was built on a foundation of willow twigs, probably
more than four hundred years ago.

Drains are a different story, of course.

No, just a different chapter of the same story.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Sickly Weeping Willow Earnest Trawler United Kingdom 6 04-08-2003 11:44 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM