Old 25-08-2003, 11:32 AM
John Hall

Default Skeletal brassicas

We have kale and broccoli under net cages and still have significant
problems with cabbage white and flea beetle. On net has a finer mesh and
seems to protect the plants much better. We are not using chemicals.

I am unable to find anyone who sells a fine meshed net.

Any ideas or online shops to solve this problem?

Thank you
--
John Hall
Old 25-08-2003, 01:42 PM
The Devil's Advocate

:
: I am unable to find anyone who sells a fine meshed net.
:
: Any ideas or online shops to solve this problem?
:
: Thank you

Yes, I have bought fine mesh nets inline from Ken Muir this year but they
are not cheap

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/shopFrame.htm

The best nets I have though are ones I bought by post from somewhere in
Scotland. They were advertised in Garden News as 'Ex fishing net'. May still
be advertised there for all I know

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 26-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Rod

"John Hall" wrote in message ...
We have kale and broccoli under net cages and still have significant
problems with cabbage white and flea beetle. On net has a finer mesh and
seems to protect the plants much better. We are not using chemicals.

I am unable to find anyone who sells a fine meshed net.

'Enviromesh' too fine for you? Try LBS - can't remember the URL atm.
I think you could manage without. We grow our young brassicas in plug trays - this gets the plants big enough to
avoid fleabeetle damage. We handpick caterpillars on quite a large scale - like 300 sq metres and it's not a huge
job once you get your eye in and catch 'em young.

Rod

Old 26-08-2003, 08:02 PM
John Hall

Thanks for the advice

--
John Hall
Old 26-08-2003, 09:22 PM
David Hill

Have you thought of using light weight fleece?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries