Old 25-08-2003, 03:12 PM
ouglas

Default lupins

My lupins are finished for this year..each has done well and in the past I
have left the plants alone until the Spring.

Now I am told that I should cut them back to about 4 inches. They would
certainly look tidier

Advice Please
Douglas

Old 26-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Saffy

"ouglas" wrote in message
My lupins are finished for this year..each has done well and in the past

have left the plants alone until the Spring.

Now I am told that I should cut them back to about 4 inches. They would
certainly look tidier

Advice Please
Douglas

I can't answer your query Douglas, but I hope someone else can cos I would
quite like the answer to this one myself!

Jane.

Old 29-08-2003, 02:02 PM
martyn edwards

"Saffy" wrote in message

"ouglas" wrote in message
My lupins are finished for this year..each has done well and in the

past
have left the plants alone until the Spring.

Now I am told that I should cut them back to about 4 inches. They would
certainly look tidier

Advice Please
Douglas

I can't answer your query Douglas, but I hope someone else can cos I would
quite like the answer to this one myself!

Jane.

Douglas-I cut the flowering stalk back to ground level after they have

flowered once. They can then flower a second time within the same season. I
would cut them back again after the 2nd flush. Keep the seeds if you wish. I
found mine multiplied very quickly so you can also lift and divide them if
you
want to spread them about a bit! the ones I moved this year though haven't
flowered so I think they take a year to settle in.(Someone else might know
more on this) The main palnt that I left in situ did flower. Lesley

Old 31-08-2003, 12:32 AM
keith

i wouldnt divide a plant less than three years old or until the vigour of
the plant is declining or got alot dead wood in the middle.i would also cut
the flower stalks only & maybe get a second flush.then in autumn when you
can no longer stand the site of it cut it back to ground.
keith

Mildew on Lupins Janice United Kingdom 0 11-07-2003 03:44 PM
Deadhead lupins? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 2 08-07-2003 12:43 AM
Lupins keeling over! Pickle United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 02:22 PM
Lupins keeling over! Pickle United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 12:20 PM
tree lupins and slugs Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 10:44 AM